* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:14 pm 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

This is an article from the Philadelphia Inquirer about a study being done on IV Vitamin C and cancer. Thomas Jefferson University Hospital (for those of you who are not local) is a large, well respected teaching medical center in Philadelphia. This is where I receive my IV Vitamin C infusions.

Picture is me and my big brother Tommy who also has lung cancer.(June 2006)
Sadly, Tommy was called home 6/29/2008. May he rest in peace.

12/28/05: Admitted to hospital for L pleural effusion.
12/29/05:1400cc's drained from L lung, biopsy revealed adenocarcinoma. CT, MRI, ultrasound, and bone scan revealed multiple small pleural lesions bilateraly, several small liver lesions, and 1 small lesion on lumbar spine. Largest lesion is approximately 2 cm (on spine), all lung lesions are mm's.
1/23/06:Second opinion at Fox Chase Cancer Center - agrees with initial diagnosis Stage lV NSCLC Adenocarcinoma
1/24/06:Pet scan confirms findings on CT & MRI
1/27/06:CT directed needle biopsy of liver confirms original diagnosis of Adenocarcinoma.
2/6/06:Started Carbo/Taxol/Avastin every 21 days for 6 cycles.
2/9/06:Portacath placement for chemotherapy.
3/3/06:Started IV Vitamin C 3times/week.
3/21/06:CT revealed lung nodules are shrinking.
4/28/06:CT revealed improvement in both the lung and liver.
5/23/06:Last round of Carbo/Taxol/Avastin.
6/7/06:CT revealed 2 small spots that do not appear to be cancer in the lungs, and 2 spots left on liver that are too small to be measured.
6/13/06:Started tx with just Avastin every 21 days.
6/14/06:Reduced lV Vitamin C to 2 times/week.
8/7/06:CT still shows small spots in lung, no change in size - may not be cancer. Liver clean!!!
10/10/06:CT and Bone Scan. No change on CT, Bone Scan clean. Doc says looks like remission!!!!! Yay!!!!
1/29/07:CT shows stable pulmonary nodules with new liver mets noted.
2/19/07: Started trial with Alimta and Cetuximab.
3/27/07:CT shows disease progression in lung and liver.
4/30/07: Started Taxotere every 21 days.
6/4/07: CT shows disease is stable - Yes!
7/16/07: CT shows shrinkage in all tumors - Yes, yes, yes! Will continue with Taxotere for as long as tolerated. Am still receiving IV Vitamin C once a week and am taking numerous supplements.
8/28/2007: CT is stable, possibly slight shrinkage! Will continue Taxotere.
12/10/2007: CT still stable!
2/19/2008: CT shows multiple hypodense lesions within the liver are now larger in size; lung nodules stable. Gemzar started (2 weeks on, 1 week off)
4/28/2008: CT shows slight shrinkage in 3 of 4 liver lesions. YAY!!!
7/2/2008: CT shows all lesions stable! Yesssss!!!!!!! Will continue with Gemzar.

Post subject: P-51
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:48 pm 

Has anyone ever heard of something called P-51? I understand that it some kind of a protien therapy.

Jan2/08 -confirmed by radiologist
Jan-4 CAT scan chest & head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:51 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Thanks Sharonjo...I remember Tommy telling me that you were having this done, way back when Colleen first got diagnosed. he even sent me the video link from channel 6 or 3 or one of them. Col is being treated at Jefferson as well...

How have the treatments been working for you, I know initially Tommy had said that they had been helping you.

Hope you and Tommy are both doing well.

Testing showed it was a met of lung origin.
DX stage IV nsclc - Adeno, both lungs, bone, bronchi, etc.
Immediately began Chemo and WBR, as well as lung radiation. 15 radiation treatments and 6 chemos carbo / taxal(sp?). 20% to 30% improvement after first three, no change, slighly worse after 2nd three.
March 2007-begin Tarceva. June scans show improvement. Lungs slightly better, airways more open, effusion gone. Continue Tarceva.
August '07 Scans. Stable from June. Continue Tarceva.
December '07. Cancer on lungs looks less dense. An improvement!!!! Everything else stable. Continue Tarceva.
March '08 - Stable Continue Tarceva
Jluy '08 - Stable everywhere, BUT new pericardial effusion found...
Effusion left as quickly and quietly as it appeared..Good news there.
Oct. '08- all still STABLE...
July '09 - Growth seen on Tarceva - stay on Tarceva, but adding chemo of Carboplatinum and Alitma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:39 pm 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

JB,
I am a big fan of IV Vitamin C. I feel wonderful during chemo - few if any side effects! It boosts your immune system for sure - few if any colds or sinus infections! I have been on it almost 2 years, my CT's are stable, and there are NO side effects! I sent you a pm with some more info.
Sharon

12/29/05:1400cc's drained from L lung, biopsy revealed adenocarcinoma. CT, MRI, ultrasound, and bone scan revealed multiple small pleural lesions bilateraly, several small liver lesions, and 1 small lesion on lumbar spine. Largest lesion is approximately 2 cm (on spine), all lung lesions are mm's.
1/23/06:Second opinion at Fox Chase Cancer Center - agrees with initial diagnosis Stage lV NSCLC Adenocarcinoma
1/27/06:CT directed needle biopsy of liver confirms original diagnosis of Adenocarcinoma.
6/7/06:CT revealed 2 small spots that do not appear to be cancer in the lungs, and 2 spots left on liver that are too small to be measured.
8/7/06:CT still shows small spots in lung, no change in size - may not be cancer. Liver clean!!!
10/10/06:CT and Bone Scan. No change on CT, Bone Scan clean. Doc says looks like remission!!!!! Yay!!!!
7/16/07: CT shows shrinkage in all tumors - Yes, yes, yes! Will continue with Taxotere for as long as tolerated. Am still receiving IV Vitamin C once a week and am taking numerous supplements.
2/19/2008: CT shows multiple hypodense lesions within the liver are now larger in size; lung nodules stable. Gemzar started (2 weeks on, 1 week off)
7/2/2008: CT shows all lesions stable! Yesssss!!!!!!! Will continue with Gemzar.

Post subject: NSCLC and Vitamin C
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:01 am 

Hi Sharon,
My mother has Stage IV NSCLC mets to the bones and the chemos alone have not been working on her. Her chemo treatments sound very similar to yours but her tumors continue to increase in number and in size. Vitamin C is something we are going to pursue as she continues her Alimta treatment. She is located in Florida and there is a center in Delray which we've visited for a consultation. Her children are in the NY area and we would like to have her near us if she can be. She's not feeling well enough for us to take regular trips to Philly so we were wondering if you or anyone at the facility in Philadelphia where you're receiving treatment are aware of any centers in NYC that may offer the intravenous Vitamin C treatment. We feel very happy for your success and hopeful that this could be successful for our mother.

Thanks,
Allison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:54 am 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

Allison,
Hi, check your inbox. I sent you a pm.
Sharon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:54 am 

Sharon,
By the way, I forgot to tell you that my sisters and I DID see you in the video that was on the news about Dr. Rosenberg. In fact, when we happened upon this LUNGevity web site, I mentioned that I think that's the same woman we saw the expose about! That's why I contacted you. I'm glad you're doing so well.
My mother is not going to receive her third infusion of Alimta since her oncologist believe she may be allergic to it since she can't breath when she walks but breaths perfectly when she's seated. Who knows. These' chemos just arent working for her. Our only hope is to get her in with Dr. Rosenberg who can make her feel better and perhaps boost the effectiveness of whatever chemo they will try next. The only one she responded to was Gemzar and Avastin together but they took her off it to put her on the Tarceva trial which was a miserable mistake in hindsight. We shall see.

Stay well,
Allison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:29 pm 

Hi Sharon

My wife Susan was diagnosed with NSLSC stage 3A last Ausgut, she was treated with chemo and radiation at the same time, after 8 weeks of treatment, the PET scan showed that cancer spreads to the bone , stage IV now, and she also has pfleural effusion and under antibiotics, we will start the new round chemo next week with cisplatin, alimta, avastin and zometa. Her condition seems closed to yours, we were afraid of chemo will destroy the immune system and open up for lung infection, so we decided to go with IV vit c treament. Last week we started the IV vit C with only 25g pending on G6PD testing before going for higher dose, we would like you to give us some advice about your treaments and how to cope with chemo which we deeply concern.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience and I beleive you will be fully recovered.

Huy Ha