* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:31 am 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if it sounds "normal". A few days after each cycle of chemo ends (5 so far), hubby coughs up blood for three days or so. Seems to build up, then trail off. The amount is more with each cycle.

Thanks.

In loving memory of my best friend, soul mate and hubby, Bill (aka "bware21").
You are my most favorite person -- forever.

July 17, 1952 - July 16, 2007
(Ext. SCLC)

"Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow." - James 1:17

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:38 am 

It's not something I'd expect to see, except perhaps if the bleeding were a week or two after the chemo, when the platelet counts would be expected to be lowest, and therefore giving the greatest chance of bleeding. I don't know what chemo/other meds he's on, but if his regimen includes Avastin (and even if it doesn't), it's possible for coughing up blood to be a serious issue. Not necessarily dangerous, but I would want my patients to keep me well informed if something like this were happening. But a pattern of bleeding just immediately after chemo isn't something I've typically seen or would expect.

Good luck.

-Dr. West

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:40 am 
Legacy Member

Teri,

I would think that would be reason to contact the oncologist. It may or may not be from chemo. There may be somthing they can give to take to take care of the problem.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Turned 70 March 2007

7/6/05 Annual physical, was told I was in great shape. Requested an X-Ray.
7/7/05 X-Ray showed fluid in right lung area.
7/8/05 CT scan showed tumor 2.4 cm
7/15/05 Fluid about a cup of fluid drained for biopsy. It was malignant.
7/18/05 PET scan positive showed main tumor plus many nodules. Said it looked like someone took a paint brush and flicked it inside my lung. Was told that it was inoperable. Stage IIIb or IV nsclc with a pleural effusion of the right lung.
8/1/05 Second opinion at Sloan Kettering. Agreed with planned treatment of Carboplatin and Taxol. Only thing they would do different would be to drain the fluid from the chest area. I asked if the fluid would go away by itself and was told “Not a Chanceâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:47 am 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Terri, I think my sister and Bill are taking the same treatment. She has never coughed up blood. I would certainly tell the Doctor. Please keep up informed and let Bill know I am praying for him to get through all this.

11/29/2006 3 Rounds Chemo completed. PET shows 100%Resolution. No cancer showing. Dr. wants to begin Radiation after Christmas along with her Chemo. Taking Neuprogen shots to build her body up to take the Radiation. Side effects have been minimal thus far..just very tired.
1/02/07 Very Depressed. Beginning 5th round of Chemo. Given Lexipro for Depression.
01/08/2007 Beginning Radiation. 28 treatments.
Sixth and final chemo postponed due to low WBC.
Radiation continues. Side effects so far: fatique, heartburn, sore throat.
01/29/2007 6th and last round of Chemo. Radiation postponed until after Chemo.

01/30/2007 In really good spirits. Feeling much better and relieved almost through with Chemo. Anti-depressant meds. are great.

Feb.05-09 Resumed Radiation
Feb. 12..CT scan done. Still waiting on Results. Praying for good news.

Feb. 12 Scan results. Dr. said he thinks only scar tissue remains. She will have 8 more radiations just to be sure.

Feb. 28 Radiation completed. Goes for PET scan on 4/10/2007. Dr. said if all goes as expected she will be in remission. 10 PCI's to start soon after.
4/10 PET scan denied by Ins. Company. Had CT scan. Will get results on 16th.
4/11 Pet scan given for free. Radiologist said all looks good. Dr. will talk to her about it on the 16th.
4/16 Dr. finds tiny spot near lung, wants to treat it just in case. Starts new chemo soon. PCI's to begin soon. He told her the PET she got for free, probably saved her life.
04/18 Begins chemo. 5-FU,Taxol and Carboplatin combination. Minimal side effects so far. Numbness in fingers and fatigue. No nausea. YEA! Will see radiologist Monday to decide on Radiation. Will have Chemo on Wednesdays concurrent with radiation.
4/25 WBC too low. chemo postponed until next wednesday. radiation done today.
5/02/2007 2nd Chemo given today with concurrent radiation. Side effects still minimal. She is feeling pretty good..just tired.
May 10 Last Chemo and Radiation for 6 weeks until scans. She is happy for the rest and attributes everything to a miracle from God. Side effects are minimal if any and is in really good spirits.

June 12 CT scan done
June 18-22 Rented cabin on the Tickfaw River for the whole family to get together. We fished and laughed and had a great time. She didn't want to know results until vacation was over.
June 26th CT scan is clear. Begining PCI's.
July 16 Halfway through with PCI's and doing pretty good. She is having headaches, but so far bearable.Dr. prescribed steroids.
7/17/07 Headaches have not subsided..Doctor sent her to have a MRI and it was all clear. Thank YOU GOD!! She will have a 2 day break on the PCI treatments.
7/25/2007 Finished PCI treatments. Some headaches, dizziness, and a rash on her forehead have been the only side effects so far.
7/26/2007 Came to Baton Rouge to visit and go to see Sister Dulce(nun that is supposed to have some healing abilities..she doesn't claim to be a healer, but someone that God works through.)
8/01/2007 Chest congestion and SOB. Dr. Thinks it is allergies.
08/02/2007 Beverly doesn't think it is just allergies. Returns to Dr. and insists on CT scan.
8/06/2007 Cancer is back. Growth is on Sternum.
08/08/2007 Starts Topotecan. Here we go again.
08/09/2007 Feels somewhat better already. Breathing is better. Continues to hold on to faith.

8/17/2007 2nd Topotecan. Will skip next week due to blood counts.

08/22/2007 Coughing, heaviness in chest, SOB. Dr. says the tumor never actually went away. Now being treated for RP. 20mg Steroids.
8/23/2007 Feeling better. Scans done next week.
8/27/2007 Brachytherapy done.
09/05/2007 Given Avastin along with Topotecan.
09/12/2007 Placed on Oxygen to help with breathing.
09/19/2007 Given partial chemo treatment due to low counts. Voice seems to be stronger and breathing seems to be easier. I Hope this combination is working for her.
She has made it past the 1 year mark!
The angels took my sister to heaven on Oct. 18, 2007. I will miss her very much.
PRAYERS DO WORK!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:54 am 

Teri,

I'm with the concensus. I would definately let the doc know what's going on. Keep us posted and I will keep you two in my prayers.

God Bless You Two!!

Jamie

"Hope deferred makes the heart sink, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life". Proverbs 13:12

Started Tarceva June 2005(working)
Stable scans (8/2005)
Stable scans (10/2005)
Stable scans (11/2005)
Celebrating 1 year since diagnosis
1/16/06 NED--just scar tissue and/or fibrosis
4/16/06 NED--just scar tissue and/or fibrosis
7/19/06 Stability again--Thank you Lord Jesus!!
11/19/06 NED
1/19/07 NED Again!!!
4/19/07 NED Again!! God is Good!
7/21/07 NED AGAIN!! Pet was clear!!
10/25/07 NED AGAIN!!! God is Good!
01/2008 Cancer free and thanking God!!
06/2008 NED AGAIN!! Thank you God!!
10/2008 NED AGAIN!! Thank you God!!
2/2009 NED AGAIN!! Thank you God!!
6/2009 NED AGAIN! Thank you God!!
12/2009 NED AGAIN!! Thanks be to GOD!!
6/2010 NED AGAIN!!! Thanks be to GOD!!
5 1/2 Year Survivor-Thanks be to God!!
11/2013----9 year survivor of Stage IIIB Adenocarcinoma- Thanks be to God!!!

http://www.caringbridge.org/tn/jamie

[/size]

Post subject: Coughing up Blood
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:45 pm 
Legacy Member

Hi Terri,
Although I don't really remember coughing up blood after chemo, I do remember coughing up something which look like tumor material (sorta dried up raisin-like thing). Maybe it's possible it's tumor that he's getting rid of? I would definitely tell the oncologist. Praying for you and Bill.
Joanie ((()))

(16 Doses twice daily)
And
4 Rounds Cisplatin/Etopside Chemo
All therapy completed June, 2002
Back to Work July, 2002
Diagnosed Hypothyroid, Nov. 2004
(due to radiation)
Evidence of healing on each CAT scan.
All scans Clear
Last Check Up Sep. 2005 - NED
Dec.12, 2005 Uncontrolled bleeding from tumor cavity. Emergency surgery performed which closed the hole permanently. Healing continues and I look forward to a bright future.
June, 2006 - NED on CAT SCAN. Scan shows IMPROVEMENT from December. Hurray! Experienced fevers through summer. Took antibiotics.
July, 2006 six month Oncologist visit. All is well! Go back in December. Hurray!
August 8,2006 Sudden,uncontrolled bleeding from surgery site. The tumor site was repatched with my own aumentim. All looks successful and I was released from the hospital after 33 long days.
Oct.19, 2006 bleeding returns.Tests reveal hospital-acquired germ has eaten away at tumor repair sight. Results in 2 more operarations and 13 days in hospital.
Recuperating at home. Daily nurse visits to change bandages on incision site.
March, 2007 - NED CAT Scan. Incision healing nicely.
April, 2007 - 5 year anniversary! Still bandaging the incision daily.
July CAT Scan - NED once again.
July 2007, operation to open surgical incision to promote healing. Still bandaging daily.
July, 2007 - was called a "walking miracle" by four doctors at the hospital. They were truly amazed to hear my story.
1/14/08: Lost my best pal, Dagwood, to old age at 14 years on . He helped me thru this struggle and I will miss him forever. I still consider myself to be "Daggiesmom."
Feb. 25, 2008: Finally had the repair surgery (9 hours and 7 days in the hospital) to close hole in my bronchus and to close surgical packing hole in back which has been open for 16 months. I expect to be healing for a few months.
January 2009 - I've healed nicely from the February operation and the CAT scan today showed NED once again!
March 11, 2009. Hemoptosys again and admitted to hospital. Due to bacterial infection. Bleeding stopped and I'm on antibiotics. Seems I am prone to these bleeds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:51 pm 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

Called the doc this morning. Bill had a CT scan this afternoon, so hopefully that will tell us what's going on. Other than the blood, he's feeling just fine.

Thanks everyone for your replies and prayers. They're much appreciated. :)

Dr. West, thank you for taking the time to address the post as well.

(Ext. SCLC)

"Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow." - James 1:17

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:25 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

Hi
Hope the scans show all ok. Thinking of you guys.
Heather and Gerald

Dx -3rd pathology analysis
"large cell neuroendocrine lung carcinoma" LCNEC
Smoker for 24 years
1st cousin passed at age 41 - similar diagnosis - too strange
2 sons - 12 and 16
I am his wife Heather
October 2nd diagnosed after sore shoulder and lump on neck appeared.
Ct Scan results as follows:
-Thrombosis of left internal juglar vein. Partial thrombosis of the superior vena cava.
-Left supraclavicular area a mass measuring 4.8 cm in size with central lobe density...by trachea and mediastynum
- thorax area - there is a 13-14cm mass in the right upper lobe. It extends to the mediastinum and wraps around the main pulmonary artery as well as the right mainstem bronchus. Cannot see the right upper lobe bronchus. The mass extends around the bronchus intermedius.
- Right hilar lymph nodes seen and extensive mass and lymphadenopathy identified
- A few low density lesions in the liver
- Right kidney - mass measuring 3 cm in size plus 2 smaller...also a mass on left kidney with ring enhancements. Lymph node adenopathy at kidney area with lymph nodes measuring 2 cm in size.
- Bilateral nodules noted in the lungs measuring up to a cm and half in size.
- Mild framentation to right second rib where the mass wraps it
- Small right PE is present
10/04/06-1st biopsy results poorly differentiated metastatic papillary carcinoma...sent out for second opinion determined to be carcinoma of pulmonary origin.
Meet with and examined by oncologist - not good
10/12/06 - chemo starts Gemzar and Carboplatin - 3 week cycle...6 cycles ordered
11/14/06 - CT Scan brain - right frontal lobe - 1 cm metastic mass
12/15/06 - Took Neulasta for white cell count and Arensp for red. Also took fragmin to thin the blocked arteries
One chemo missed for low white counts and liver emzymes elevated
One chemo treatment replaced by blood transfusions
12/21/06 Go to Sunnybrook to meet with radiologist - stay on chemo a bit longer - can only treat brain and svc site. Chemo will treat all body - and Gemzar and radiation don't mix so there has to be a break
01/02/06 Go to Sunnybrook to meet with oncologist - second opinion and co-relation with radiation.
Request of full body scan and biopsy re-analysis. Get off chemo now
01/08/07 - full body ct scan scheduled.
01/12/07 - pathology returned from Sunnybrook. This time diagnosed as Large Cell Neuroendocrine Lung Carcinoma.
01/25/07 - took ambulance to hospital - SOB and pain out of control - hospital stabalizing - move up appointment with radiologist - reduced airflow due to tumours/collapse - on oxygen - could be anxiety attacks also
01/29/07 - radiologists says start WBR, right lung and media stinum radiation tomorrow 20gy palliative - advised that no change in tumours from day one thus chemo round one not effective - cancer growing fast
02/01/07 - appointment with oncologist at Sunnybrook - 2 weeks after radiation - start either clinical trial "imclone" if well enough - if not taxotere or tarceva
02/15/07 - not well enough for any IV chemo - going with tarceva
02/18/07 - started tarceva and hoping for a miracle
03/10/07 - chest xray because of infection - the cancer in left lung has now progressed
03/13/07 - hospitalized - confused and off balance - dropping weight fast....can't talk properly. CT Scan - brain met even with the wbr doubled now 2.3 cm...weird though - no pain
03/15/07 - Ger wants to go home - so we take him home - we get DNR and all what is required in place
03/20/07 - no miracles for us - Gerald passed away peacefully at 6:37 pm at home.

I want my old life back - but I can't have it - so I will try to help and support whomever needs that here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:21 am 

Teri,
I have been out of town, thus away from the boards...what has come of this...I am thinking of you.

Jen

3/16/06 DX Mass and/or adenopathy within the right hilum..consistent with bronchogenic carcinoma. May also be subcarinal adenopathy. Small right pleural effusion.
3/17/06 MRI head with/out contrast. Biopsi-lung, right middle lobe bronchus. Small Cell Carcinoma of the right lung with SVC syndrome
3/21/06 Bone scan. No evidence for skeletal metastases
3/21/06 Etoposide and Carboplatin chemotherapy (3 days)
4/12/06 Chest XRay - Obvious shrinking of tumor
4/12/06 Etoposide and Carboplatin (3 days)
5/2/06 CScan - again, obvious shrinking of tumor
5/5/06 Meet with Radiologist to determine radiology plan
5/9/06 Day one of Radiation
5/10/06 Chemo (?) (3 days)
6/4/06 In the middle of radiation, going EXTREMELY well, aside from sore eating, and tired, tired, tired. Dad is hopeful, sure that he is coughing up tumor every day, and spirited. Thank you God!
6/18/06 Went into local hospital for infusion. Chest X for possible pneumonia.
6/20/-6 Went to local hospital for infustion. DX with pneumonia in both lungs. O2 levels low, and irregular heart beat. He does not feel heart beating 140 and above. Meds for regulation not working. Made it to Mayo 6/25...back in the hands of the amazing!
6/29 Radiation Graduation! Dad is now home, and regaining strength every day. He is tired, tired, tired, but again, getting stronger every day. Will return to Mayo on 7/30 for all new tests.
7/30 "There is nothing in your noggin but a brain, Keith!" Amazing words to hear! "I would give your chest a clean bill."
8/1 "Keith, you are in remission." We don't consider a cure until you are clear for five years.
8/7 Began 15 rounds PCI brain radiation treatments. This was a difficult decision to make as we were given the side affects, and quite honestly it does sound scary. However, most all SCLC survivors appear to have some form of brain radiation at some time throughout their treatments. Dad figures that mom does the money books, organizes the meds, and keeps the house going already, so what the heck. "I don't want to die from cancer," he says!

August 25, 2006 Mom and Dad return after PCI. Dad feels great, has a tan, bald head, and got out onto the boat on day 1 of his return! Thank you God!

11/29/06 3 month Check Up...Still in remission. Lung scarring from radiation occuring. Dad feels great. Depression and low activity are going away!

2/25/07 Another check up shows no progression...however a slight pleural effusion that has grown since November. Could be one of three things...1. Infection 2. Scar Tissue 3. Cancer. Must go back to Mayo next week to have it drained and checked.

3/1/07 Drained pleural effusion yesterday. However, when they got in there, there wasn't enough fluid to drain and check...this means it probably wasn't cancer, and more than likely was the tail end of some kind of infection. She decides she wants him back in two months instead of three, just to be safe. Heart doc gives dad the clean bill of health. Go home, enjoy life!

5/11/07 Dad had a standard chest CT, which showed nothing new. He feels great and again was given a clean bill! Yeah! Doc will do a "big" check-up in August...complete with chest CT, bone scan, and brain scan...all because at that point he will be one year in remission! Yeah...I pray every day for these years to be granted!
8/21/07 Dad had a full body scan yesterday and results today were very "boring!" We LOVE boring. There was one nodule, in the lung area, that she could see, but it is smaller than small, and leaves no reason to be concerned. Dad will return for a check-up after Christmas. When mom said, "So, do we not need to be worried anymore" she answered with, "Your new normal will be that you are always worried." Yuck...but oh so true. Thank you God for the gift of healing, and may you continue with that wonderful gift. I pray in thanksgiving.

1/21/08 "I am going to call you my miracle man! Keith, I still don't see any evidence of cancer in your body." Wow! Blessed again!

5/19/08 "Keith there is no change. I see no evidence of any cancer." Wow! We are so blessed to be given another clean report. "Every day is a gift," my dad said. Isn't that the truth!

Sept. 08 Still Cancer Free

4/8/09 All evidence of the small cell is still gone. She believes Dad is cured. However, a dot on the CT almost a year ago has turned into an eraser sizes spot. This could just be a product of his recent bronchitis or could be when he breathed during the scan. She DOES NOT think we have anything to worry about. Scans will be in 3 months now, instead of 6 months...I am happy for that!

7/20/09 CT shows growth in spot on opposite lung than original cancer. They do not want to leave it alone. Will have PET and surgical consult next week with the hopes for simple removal.

8/2009 Removed spot. Biopsy showed trace of NSCLC. No SCLC found.

11/2009 All clear
3/2010 All clear
7/2010 All clear
11/2010 All clear. We really are so very blessed to continue to be cancer free. Thank you God.
8/23/11 - Still clear. Thank God!

Picture at left is my husband and I, October 2007. Below is Dad crossing the line during the survivor lap at the Relay. The other pic is just one of my faves!

[img]http://lchelp.org/picfiles/jen2.jpg[/img][img]http://lchelp.org/picfiles/ztweb3.jpg[/img]
[/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:41 pm 
Legacy Member

Just want you and Bill to know I am sending you some positive vibes and good wishes for some good news.

((((((hugs to Both)

7/25/1995 had Left Lung Removed along with several lymph nodes.
9/9/95 Started Chemo (VP-16/Cisplatin), & Radiation (36 treatments). Cancer Free.
8/11/2003 CT Scan found 4mm Nodule Right Upper Lung. Did PET scan & Nodule Lite up. Also found a Tumor in my Left Atrium (Heart)
8/21/03 Open Heart Sugery for Myxoma Tumor in Left Atrium. During heart surgery (3) surgeons checked 4mm nodule & agreed it did not appear to be cancerous.
11/2004-CT & PET scan, nodule still there 6mm will watch.
4/2005-CT, Nodule still there and has grown to 8mm will do another CT in 9/2005. Waiting & watching nodule.
9/2005 CT Nodule has shrunk to 5mm. Doctor's feel nodule could be scar tissue.
2/2006 Having Shortness of Breath problems.
4/2006 CT, nodule 5mm No Change.
11/2006 CT scan no change in Nodule.
4/26/07 Results of CT scan shows I have another Noudule. Now have two nodules, one is 6-7mm & the new one is about 3mm.
9/2007 CT shows 3 nodules all mm in size. First 2 have no change in them. New one is very small. Repeat CT in 6 months.
12/11/07 Still NED
5/7/08 CT (right lung) (nodules watch) two new nodules I now have 5 nodules. Will watch via CT scans.
10/08 CT Scan showed 1 nodule 6mm has grown to 1.2cm.
5/22/09 CT Scan (awaiting results)
7/4/09 PET Scan (3 nodules in left lung are now 1.4c.m in sizes.
8/13/09 Did Bronhcoscopy
8/18/09 NOT Cancer, no cancer found.
Next PET Scan Oct 2009.

READ MY STORY @ http://www.lungevity.org/l_community/vi ... hp?t=13224

Lost my Father age 56(1970), Mother age 66 (1987), and Sister age 43 (1988) all to Lung Cancer
AVATAR is in Iowa @ the Presidential Cancer Forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:08 pm 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, prayers, vibes and well wishes. It really does make a difference to know that there are people out there thinking about you who truly understand.

Well, the CT scan showed nothing unexpected. The blood has stopped. Our doc seems to think it's quite possibly the tumor breaking down, because it's been cyclic in nature and generally lasts only two or three days. We suspected something like that, but got concerned this time because it was more than it had been (maybe that's a good thing -- that's how we're looking at it anyway).

We're both relieved and pleased that we had it seen to. That's the scoop. Thanks again! :)

(Ext. SCLC)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:45 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

This is GREAT news Terri. I really miss Bill's posts. He is always very insightful and makes me laugh.
Hugs and Prayers
Connie

01/01/06 Happy New Year! Diagnosed with mass in right lung and SVCS which is causing the swelling-taken right down to radiation.
01/02/06 broncscosopy-and 2nd radiation
01/03/06 met all new drs. and released from hospital cannot tell from broncscospy-
01/05/06 MRI, bone scan, and 3rd CT scan
01/06/06 CT needle guided biopsy
01/10/06 Met with oncologist-confirmed it is cancer 80%NSCLC stage IIIB with SVCS continue with 33 radiation treatments and start chemo after results from Scan
01/13/06 PET Scan
01/18/06 1st chemo ( Taxol and Carbo-plactin)and results from PET Scan-No spreading!!!!
01/26/06 HAPPY 64th BIRTHDAY MOM!!
This is a good day!
02/01/06 3rd Chemo and meeting with oncologist. End of radiation is on Feb 15th and this round of chemo will end on Feb. 8th. Then will meet again on March 9th for round 2 of chemo.
02/28 dx with blood clots given lovelox and sent home.
03/09 started 2nd rnd of chemo taxol/carbo combo.
04/20 finished chemo--we are now at the watch and wait stage.
05/10/06 admitted to ER with plueral infussion
06/01/06 passed away--MOM I miss u so very much!!!!! You are my guardian angel-u said so the day before u passed.

Avatar is of my beautiful Mom and my dog Lexi-taken a couple of months before she got sick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:45 am 
Legacy Member

Way to go Bill. Never thought to cough that sucker out. Keep up the good work. Hugs, Liz

Picture is of my 2 BFF - Michelle on left, Mary on right, and me in the center. 10/28/06 on Palm Beach Princess Dinner Cruise. Aren't I adorable? Who else could get away with the pink boa all night? And they loved me!!!
I am a 45 year old woman, 30 year smoker. Quite smoking (and biting my nails) on 9/11/06 DX. God's work.
8/21/06 Hoarseness for 6 weeks - went to ENT.
9/07/06 Chest x-ray (3rd this year, other 2 for Broncittias) and swallow test for acid reflux. Radioligist saw something that no one else can see and asked for CAT scan. God's work.
9/08/06 CAT scan - showed mass 2.5 cm X 2.4 cm X 6 cm.
9/11/06 Informed that they thought I had lung cancer. Sent to Pul. Specialist.
9/12/06 Specialist confirmed.
9/14/06 Pul. function test, PET scan, surgon. Pet scan didn't show anything new. Confirmed CAT scan.
9/19/06 Surgury attemted to remove upper left lung, but found cancer spread to lower lobe and attached to chest wall. Biopsy done and closed. In hospital for 6 days. Diagnosis - Stage IV NSC Lung Cancer with Node involvement.
9/25/06 Brain MRI - Negative
10/02/06 Began chemo, once a week during radiation. (carboplatin/taxotere)
10/03/06 Radioligist thinks I'm Stage IIIb. I like this better. Get tatoos and CAT scan.
10/6/06 Dry run for radiation.
10/09/06 Begin radiation. 5 x week for 7 weeks.
10/20/06 Started having pain swallowing. Taking liqiud meds.
11/12/06 Vomiting for 5 days. Admitted to hospital for dehydration. Finally under control. Released 11/20/06. Treatment stopped at time. Radiation starts again 11/21, chemo 11/27. Statred losing my hair while in hospital. I was doing an experiment with Bioten. Didn't loss any hair while I was taking it, but as soon as I couldn't, it started coming out in handfuls. Started taking it again today. Wonder if it will stop?
11/29/06 Started back on chemo, with changes, carboplatin/taxol with different nausea meds. I'm ready this time. Will start nausea meds early. ER on Sunday.
12/6/06 Back to origional chemo. Tumer marker back at 46. 83 first time. Different nausea meds. Vomiting not as often, but nausea everyday. No ER this week!!
12/13/06 Last radiation. Heading to Moffitt!!! PS Hair stopped falling out.
1/11/07 Having terrible time with vomiting. Everyday since 12/19/06. Went to GI today. He's going in with a camara tomorrow morning.
1/12/07 Findings is ulcers and fungus growing in there. Given meds for fungus. Figured out vomiting was caused by pain patch. Took it off 1/8 07 and haven't vomited since.
1/19/07 CAT Scan, ENT for vocal cords. Will schedule temp. fix for voice.
1/23/07 Stable, No further treatment, Back in 2 months.
1/31/07 Recieved injection into vocal cord. Noticable improvement of voice about 75% of the time.
2/24/07 Update - Had lost a total of 25 lbs. Have gained 15 back since 1/12. Feeling great, looking great and what hair I lost is growing back. A different color!!
3/13/07 CT
3/19/07 Doctor called, all stable.
4/3/07 Saw doctor. Everything Peachy.
6/13 Scan moved up due to abnormal findings on throat scan.
6/19 Results are stable. Have infection.
8/21 Results are stable. Fluid found in right lung, but when scheduled to drain, it had disappeared. Praise God!!
10/30 Results are stable. Some inflemation. Was worried til he saw me. Put me on antibiotics and steriods. Feel better. Rescan 12/4
11/18 Symtoms on right side of face. Went to ER. 4 brian mets. Started WBR on 11/20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:27 am 
Director of Support & Advocacy, LUNGevity

This is a great relief to read. I'm so happy for both of you for this assuring and great news!
Postitive thoughts and continuing prayers~

18 yr cancer survivor.
Certified Patient Navigator
www.iamkatiebrown.com

In memory of Jessee Dewey, SCLC
December 29, 1938 - September 6, 2003
Lisa Dewey- Jan. 22, 2007

my parents are together in heaven
ImageImage

facebook http://www.facebook.com/lungevity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 am 

Glad to hear it. Thanks for letting us know!!

God Bless!
Jamie
:D

Started Tarceva June 2005(working)
Stable scans (8/2005)
Stable scans (10/2005)
Stable scans (11/2005)
Celebrating 1 year since diagnosis
1/16/06 NED--just scar tissue and/or fibrosis
4/16/06 NED--just scar tissue and/or fibrosis
7/19/06 Stability again--Thank you Lord Jesus!!
11/19/06 NED
1/19/07 NED Again!!!
4/19/07 NED Again!! God is Good!
7/21/07 NED AGAIN!! Pet was clear!!
10/25/07 NED AGAIN!!! God is Good!
01/2008 Cancer free and thanking God!!
06/2008 NED AGAIN!! Thank you God!!
10/2008 NED AGAIN!! Thank you God!!
2/2009 NED AGAIN!! Thank you God!!
6/2009 NED AGAIN! Thank you God!!
12/2009 NED AGAIN!! Thanks be to GOD!!
6/2010 NED AGAIN!!! Thanks be to GOD!!
5 1/2 Year Survivor-Thanks be to God!!
11/2013----9 year survivor of Stage IIIB Adenocarcinoma- Thanks be to God!!!

http://www.caringbridge.org/tn/jamie

[/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:14 am 

So glad to read this. Keep hacking there Bill!!! I suppose it is a bit of an unconventional way to get rid of a tumor, but everyone here supports you no matter how you do it :)

Prayers,
Jen

3/16/06 DX Mass and/or adenopathy within the right hilum..consistent with bronchogenic carcinoma. May also be subcarinal adenopathy. Small right pleural effusion.
3/17/06 MRI head with/out contrast. Biopsi-lung, right middle lobe bronchus. Small Cell Carcinoma of the right lung with SVC syndrome
3/21/06 Bone scan. No evidence for skeletal metastases
3/21/06 Etoposide and Carboplatin chemotherapy (3 days)
4/12/06 Chest XRay - Obvious shrinking of tumor
4/12/06 Etoposide and Carboplatin (3 days)
5/2/06 CScan - again, obvious shrinking of tumor
5/5/06 Meet with Radiologist to determine radiology plan
5/9/06 Day one of Radiation
5/10/06 Chemo (?) (3 days)
6/4/06 In the middle of radiation, going EXTREMELY well, aside from sore eating, and tired, tired, tired. Dad is hopeful, sure that he is coughing up tumor every day, and spirited. Thank you God!
6/18/06 Went into local hospital for infusion. Chest X for possible pneumonia.
6/20/-6 Went to local hospital for infustion. DX with pneumonia in both lungs. O2 levels low, and irregular heart beat. He does not feel heart beating 140 and above. Meds for regulation not working. Made it to Mayo 6/25...back in the hands of the amazing!
6/29 Radiation Graduation! Dad is now home, and regaining strength every day. He is tired, tired, tired, but again, getting stronger every day. Will return to Mayo on 7/30 for all new tests.
7/30 "There is nothing in your noggin but a brain, Keith!" Amazing words to hear! "I would give your chest a clean bill."
8/1 "Keith, you are in remission." We don't consider a cure until you are clear for five years.
8/7 Began 15 rounds PCI brain radiation treatments. This was a difficult decision to make as we were given the side affects, and quite honestly it does sound scary. However, most all SCLC survivors appear to have some form of brain radiation at some time throughout their treatments. Dad figures that mom does the money books, organizes the meds, and keeps the house going already, so what the heck. "I don't want to die from cancer," he says!

August 25, 2006 Mom and Dad return after PCI. Dad feels great, has a tan, bald head, and got out onto the boat on day 1 of his return! Thank you God!

11/29/06 3 month Check Up...Still in remission. Lung scarring from radiation occuring. Dad feels great. Depression and low activity are going away!

2/25/07 Another check up shows no progression...however a slight pleural effusion that has grown since November. Could be one of three things...1. Infection 2. Scar Tissue 3. Cancer. Must go back to Mayo next week to have it drained and checked.

3/1/07 Drained pleural effusion yesterday. However, when they got in there, there wasn't enough fluid to drain and check...this means it probably wasn't cancer, and more than likely was the tail end of some kind of infection. She decides she wants him back in two months instead of three, just to be safe. Heart doc gives dad the clean bill of health. Go home, enjoy life!

5/11/07 Dad had a standard chest CT, which showed nothing new. He feels great and again was given a clean bill! Yeah! Doc will do a "big" check-up in August...complete with chest CT, bone scan, and brain scan...all because at that point he will be one year in remission! Yeah...I pray every day for these years to be granted!
8/21/07 Dad had a full body scan yesterday and results today were very "boring!" We LOVE boring. There was one nodule, in the lung area, that she could see, but it is smaller than small, and leaves no reason to be concerned. Dad will return for a check-up after Christmas. When mom said, "So, do we not need to be worried anymore" she answered with, "Your new normal will be that you are always worried." Yuck...but oh so true. Thank you God for the gift of healing, and may you continue with that wonderful gift. I pray in thanksgiving.

1/21/08 "I am going to call you my miracle man! Keith, I still don't see any evidence of cancer in your body." Wow! Blessed again!

5/19/08 "Keith there is no change. I see no evidence of any cancer." Wow! We are so blessed to be given another clean report. "Every day is a gift," my dad said. Isn't that the truth!

Sept. 08 Still Cancer Free

4/8/09 All evidence of the small cell is still gone. She believes Dad is cured. However, a dot on the CT almost a year ago has turned into an eraser sizes spot. This could just be a product of his recent bronchitis or could be when he breathed during the scan. She DOES NOT think we have anything to worry about. Scans will be in 3 months now, instead of 6 months...I am happy for that!

7/20/09 CT shows growth in spot on opposite lung than original cancer. They do not want to leave it alone. Will have PET and surgical consult next week with the hopes for simple removal.

8/2009 Removed spot. Biopsy showed trace of NSCLC. No SCLC found.

11/2009 All clear
3/2010 All clear
7/2010 All clear
11/2010 All clear. We really are so very blessed to continue to be cancer free. Thank you God.
8/23/11 - Still clear. Thank God!

Picture at left is my husband and I, October 2007. Below is Dad crossing the line during the survivor lap at the Relay. The other pic is just one of my faves!

[img]http://lchelp.org/picfiles/jen2.jpg[/img][img]http://lchelp.org/picfiles/ztweb3.jpg[/img]
[/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:02 am 
Legacy Member

Great to hear that it's nothing. But, it's always best to be ontop of anything that appears to be different.

Hang in there the best you can. (((BILL & TERI)))
This too shall pass.

7/25/1995 had Left Lung Removed along with several lymph nodes.
9/9/95 Started Chemo (VP-16/Cisplatin), & Radiation (36 treatments). Cancer Free.
8/11/2003 CT Scan found 4mm Nodule Right Upper Lung. Did PET scan & Nodule Lite up. Also found a Tumor in my Left Atrium (Heart)
8/21/03 Open Heart Sugery for Myxoma Tumor in Left Atrium. During heart surgery (3) surgeons checked 4mm nodule & agreed it did not appear to be cancerous.
11/2004-CT & PET scan, nodule still there 6mm will watch.
4/2005-CT, Nodule still there and has grown to 8mm will do another CT in 9/2005. Waiting & watching nodule.
9/2005 CT Nodule has shrunk to 5mm. Doctor's feel nodule could be scar tissue.
2/2006 Having Shortness of Breath problems.
4/2006 CT, nodule 5mm No Change.
11/2006 CT scan no change in Nodule.
4/26/07 Results of CT scan shows I have another Noudule. Now have two nodules, one is 6-7mm & the new one is about 3mm.
9/2007 CT shows 3 nodules all mm in size. First 2 have no change in them. New one is very small. Repeat CT in 6 months.
12/11/07 Still NED
5/7/08 CT (right lung) (nodules watch) two new nodules I now have 5 nodules. Will watch via CT scans.
10/08 CT Scan showed 1 nodule 6mm has grown to 1.2cm.
5/22/09 CT Scan (awaiting results)
7/4/09 PET Scan (3 nodules in left lung are now 1.4c.m in sizes.
8/13/09 Did Bronhcoscopy
8/18/09 NOT Cancer, no cancer found.
Next PET Scan Oct 2009.

READ MY STORY @ http://www.lungevity.org/l_community/vi ... hp?t=13224

Lost my Father age 56(1970), Mother age 66 (1987), and Sister age 43 (1988) all to Lung Cancer
AVATAR is in Iowa @ the Presidential Cancer Forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:32 pm 
Legacy Member

I am glad everything seems to be ok. keep on killing the tumor.

don M

http://www.lungevity.org/l_community/vi ... hp?t=37417

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:20 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Teri,

My husband, Bill, also has sclc so I feel we have sort of a connection in a wierd sort of way. Same name, same cancer and both very handsome. He's feeling pretty good right now too and is trying to decide if he wants to start chemo again for bone mets. The Onc has told us it pallative care from here on so we're just doing good one day at a time.

I hope Bill's coughing up stuff stops soon and he'll be on the board again. Miss him, but love to read your posts.

I will continue to pray for you and your husband through this journey.

Laurie

Bill, I love you so, I always will
(The 5th Dimension - Wedding Bell Blues - 1969)

05/13/47 -- 04/03/08
Small Cell Lung Cancer

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3, 5-6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:47 pm 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks again for your thoughts. Each time I log on I'm surprised to find another reply. It's so sweet.

I've let Bill know you've all been giving your support. He appreciates it, of course. At least for the moment, he's found that it works better for him if he avoids exposing himself to any more lung cancer information than is necessary. I can't argue with that. It's all part of his fight. He's feeling quite good -- he's downstairs painting the living room right now!

Liz, thanks for the laugh. We were with our friends last night and I told them about your reply. We were absolutely hysterical saying, "revolutionary new lung cancer cure -- forget chemo and radiation -- just cough that sucker out!"

Laurie, don't count out remission for your hubby. There are so many people on this board who have proved their doctors wrong time and again.

(Ext. SCLC)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:56 pm 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

LAURIE -- I'm absolutely ashamed of myself. I should have said "don't count out remission or CURE," because trust me -- that's my hopes lie.

(Ext. SCLC)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:51 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Hi-my Mom has Small Cell-her tumor has shrunk about 85% and after the 5th and 6th cycle she coughs up some blood for a few days also. We took her to get a cat scan this month when it happened to make sure everything was ok-they did a bronchoscopy again to see if they could see where the bleeding was coming from and the Pulmonary Dr said he couldn't see any active bleeding which leads him to think it is the tumor pulling away from blood vessels.
Hope this helps some.
Dar

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight

Image Jake