Hello and welcome Mindy,
Mixed blessings to you, happy that you have found us, sad that you have to find us.
I agree w/ Muriel, "NO ASPIRIN!!" my husband found out the wrong way, he had to wait for his initial biopsy for 2 weeks due to this lack of clotting. So definitely call the dr.
Also, has he tried a heating pad, I know that it helped my husband sometimes when he has pains.
I'm sure you will get others who will tell you their experiences.
9/05 found mass on lung and spot on CC's liver
10/05 dx ext sclc started cisplatin and etoposide
12/05 ct tumors shrunk about 80%
2/06 7th final rd of chemo
3/06 ct further shrinking
4/06 numbness on left side
4/06 head ct scan reveals lesions
4/06 MRI can inconclusive onto echocardiogram and lp
4/07/06 echocardio initial negative
4/08-4/23/06 - lp done, excessive blood sugar ct, er for treatment, indication of cause was steroids which were stopped, another MRI of brain, indications of early brain mets. 4-5 weeks of radiation of brain to begin
4/24/06 focal seizure to left side, onto boston, consult w/ onc, told start brain rad.
4/25/06 rad started, put on keppra for seizures, saw dr. wants brain rads 4 weeks, then start on chemo to lung w/ gemstar and irecotan.
5/10/06 met w/ onc. finish up wbr and
5/24/06 finished w/ wbr
5/26/06 met w/ onc. not good, lung and liver tumors have grown about 2-3x's what they were after 1st chemo treatment. also spot on adreanal gland. onc. wants to start up chemo next week, probably ireceotan,(?sp) and gemzar.
6/02/06 - started new treatment of gemzar and irecotan. for 2 rounds
6/15/06 platlets low need to go for transfusion
6/16/06 transfusion done, dr. wants mri - brain and ct-chest to see whats happening, will be changing chemo based on results..
6/23/06 Brain Mets gone as indicated thru MRI...
CT reveals tumor in lung has grown slightly, onc wants is stopping current chemo, because of side effects, radiologist wants to nuke the lung, onc leary because of risk of position of tumor around large blood vessels...he is consulting w/ rad. perhaps cyberknife....onc. had decided to start tropecician(sp?)alone soon.
7/05/06 Cyberkn not an option, bone scan tomorrow, fri. starting taxol and topotecan
7/06 needs blood transfusion
8/4/06 major reaction to taxol, to the er, taxol is stopped only now topotecan. looking into clinical trials
9/06 ct and mri indicate cancer has grown 2x lung. and brain tumors are present.
9/06 One oral etoposide 100 mg daily.
will begin at begin of 10/06 w/ IMRT of the brain and down to 50 mg of etoposide
9/29/06 - 1 year since all this began, onc. called stop etoposide, begin decadron ( Mon ), waiting on temodar, till IMRT begins
10/2/06 IMRT starts and rad of lung/liver...some tumor markers show some decrease
10/16/06 mri shows shrinkage in brain mets, tbd - onc if back on etoposide w/ rad
10/24/06 - some "left side" tremor activity, upped keppra to 2x day
11/1/06 imrt, rad stopped, going back to oral etoposide, just waiting for increase in platlette cts. to start up
11/13/06 IMRT started back up, platlets still low - no chemo yet
11/27/06 brain mets are back, larger and more of them, stop imrt, onc. wants cc to start up oral etoposide today, will monitor bloodwork closely
12/18-12/22 stopped the etoposide, made it to 21 days - dr. said incredible. blood levels all out of wack, procrit and neupragen shots all around. Ct chest and MRI brain to see what dealing w/ now. CC( hubbys' nick) is off of chemo and starting to get appetite back
1/07 onc can't believe response shrinkage of 90% to lung and 50-60 for brain mets, continue on another round of etoposide, this time 10 days on, 10 days off
1/30/07 - Carlton has major seizure, goes to ER, admitted, unresponsive, told brain mets have grown, slowly comes out, but very shakey and not remembering
2/5/07 - sent home, VNA to come and set services in place, bed, commode, walker
2/8 - dr. visit, Carlton wants to continue chemo on outpatient basis
2/9 - 2/10- called dr. Carlton not good, has fallen 4x's sleeping most of time, think he needs to be hospitalized, dr. agrees Carlton hospitalized
2/10 - another seizure, not big, seems ok
2/12 - Carlton in ICU, having major seizures on and off for 4 hrs, decide to DNR and only comfort and care, waited 4 days in icu, finally on cancer ward of hosp. in his own room. Carlton is in a coma, non responsive, pneumonia setting in, getting worse, girls visit on 2/19 for last time, say goodbye to daddy
2/21 - Carlton is gone, very quick, I wasn't there, but came shortly after, he is in no more agony.