Ah man....went through NSCLC stage 3B with my dad nearly 5 years ago and now here we go again with my 68 y/o mom.
So a 1cm nodule in the middle right lobe was seen on the PET and chest CT (these were done for something else....she had no symptoms). On June 1st, she went in for a VATS procedure. The plan was to take out the nodule, do a frozen section while she was still in the OR and if it was positive for cancer, to take out the lobe. WELL...the initial good news was in the OR, the biopsy was negative....so they didn't take the lobe...closed her up. Today they took out her chest tube.....and the final pathology came back.
POSITIVE for darn cancer and now the lobe is still in there. The doctor says we will do "the watch and wait" doing regular CT scans...but I'm nervous. research shows improved survival rates with the lobe coming out. The surgeon doesn't disagree with me...but this would mean another surgery!,, My mom is not thrilled about another surgery and is leaning towards watch and wait.
I'm a nervous wreck and don't want her to make the wrong choice! Any thoughts?
73y/o father dx with non-operable Non-Small Cell Lung CA Stage 3a-3b(difficult to stage) in 2/03. Curently, post radiation, carboplatin/taxol, and caroplatin/gemzar. Radiation shrunk tumor, but since gemzar tumor has grown (but is still only in the lung). 2 rounds taxotere and 12/03 scans showed no spreading and a stable tumor...2 more rounds and CT 2/04 showed small shrinkage, but a little increase in pluerl and pericardial effusion...waiting and praying for 6weeks and will rescan. Still stable as of early March...
Scan in late May still shows no real change...no chemo for now. Still stable in October 2004!! 2.3X2.6 tumor has grown an additional 6mm and a large pleural effusion shown on 2/05 scan. Effusion drained (1L) and cytology was negative for cancer on 2/9. Feeling great so far after draining....Scan late April 2005 shows everything still stable!
Scan September 2005- stable disease, increased plueral effusion-no treatment
CT Scan April 06- stable disease, a few other spots in the lungs present, but (per reports) are stable and have shown up on previous scans for the last year (hmm...I didn't know about that)
08/06- CT scan stabe
09/27/06-I got engaged. Dad's very happy.
end of 09/06-early 10/06- increased SOB; CT scan shows lung tumor growth and large pleural effusion. Pleurex catheter placed with some help. Pleural fluid neg for cancer cells. Pet scan, bone scan, and brain scan ordered before chemo restarts.
10/30-PET scan results bad. Cancer spreading to pleural space, bone, and liver. Soon to restart chemo
We thank God every day for every we are getting together.