* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I lost my precious Mike
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:01 pm 

I have little strength to post . I just wanted to let you know that my precious, Mike lost his battle today. I will write more later and post his obituary when we get it completed. Thank you to everyone for your love and support.

Love,
Sue

**1-28-04 dx w/recurrent stage IV nsclc tumor on stump of where right lung had been removed , lymph node involvement, tumor adrenal gland -lft side, **02-04-04- taxol & carboplatin 3 treatments-didn't work
**02-12-04- radiation 10 to lung for bleeding
**04-2--04-taxotere had 4 treatments. shrinkage had occured in all after 3.. continuing taxotere. making him very tired ... upper body swelling ..
** 08-01-04-in hospital
latest..
**08-02-04 had stent put in .. superior vena cava.. the vein was being blocked by pressure tumor.
**08-05-04-started 10 radiation treatments,
**08-30-04- started Navelbine on 3 weeks and off 1 Scan after 5 treatments show chemo Navelbine not working -slight decrease to lung mass, but slight increase to adrenal ....
**11-01-04-starting Gemzar ... had 3 treatments... too many side effects... Ct of chest and upper abdomen done on Dec. 2nd -results some shrinkage
**12-06-04-started Alimta Dec. 6th- first treatment went well Had 2nd treatment Dec. 27th ... developed a rash and is tired, but otherwise ok Scan Feb 7th, 2005 STABLE doing good continuing Alimta April 18th scans showed stable disease (after 6 Alimta treatments), but he now has pneumonitis... no more treatments until much better.. on prednisone and oxygen..
**05-31-05 Ct scan of chest showed pneumonitis resolved and stable cancer
**06-06-05-our 35th wedding anniversary... onc confirms everything resolving and stable -reccommends break continued til August
**6-15-05 to 6-18-05 in hospital due to mental confusion ..
had MRI-member empty head club

8-3-2005-Ct scans chest , abdomen and pelvic....Waiting and praying...
**8-8-2005-Ct results were that the chest area looked improved, but the adrenal area had increased and involved some lymph nodes.
Started Tarceva 150mg 8-16-2005-8-20-2005 stopped 2 weeks due to severe rash on 9-8-2005 started back on Tarceva at 100 mg now.. stopped again on 9-19-2005
9-30-2005 scans slight progression to nodes behind adrenal..
10-10-2005-Camptosar- CPT-11 started
10-31-2005- CPT-11
refused more CPT-11 made him extremely fatigued and nauseated
Dec. 6th -CTscans chest, abdomen & pelvic. shows stable but tumor compressing the esophagus..
Dec. 19th- had stent to trachea put in
Dec. 21st- he had stent to esophagus and feeding tube put in
Dec. 22nd.. he will ill put in hospital... vomiting and also coughing and congestion in for 4 days... home for Christmas Dec. 25th... still recouperating with antibiotics etc.
Continuing cough and numerous doctor visits.
*Jan 30th-Feb 4th- hospitalized again with cough ..
Still has cough , but controlled most of the time Hasn't been able to resume chemo

**My "prince charming", best friend, husband and soul mate,, Mike passed away March 2, 2006 after being a 5 year survivor and fighting a very courageous battle**
July 20th... Mom NED.PET clear and normal .. will go back on half 75mg Tarceva... see how that works..
Stop Tarceva 8-25 too many side effects
Oct. 22nd- Mom surgeon visit, chest xray and results .. all clear, no sign of cancer...
Feb. 18th Mom's PET Scan
March 7th Mom's PET Scan results.. NED
Sept. 22, 08 Mom PET Scan
Sept. 29, 08 Mom PET results new nodule 3/4 "...here we go again.... :-(
*Updated*- Mom surgery- Oct. 30th.. surgeon removed top part of upper right lobe. Nothing showed malignant. She had pneumonia after surgery and a 3 week hospital stay, but she is slowly regaining her strength and is currently NED..

March 3, 2009 CT scan.... results showed some little things along suture line that the doctor believed was healing.. will wait til next scan and compare.

June 2, 2009- CT Scan.. results there is an area along suture line that has increased in size and thickening.. doctor thinks could be cancer... a needle biopsy will be done..

A quick update.. the results of the needle biopsy did confirm that it was cancer...

Cyberknife was done the first week in November..

Pet scan .. Dec. 8th...
Dec. 11th -results .. cyberknife worked and the rest of the scan is clean... YAY!!! Happy Birthday (Dec. 19th.. 81st) and Merry Xmas Mom!
Dec. 2010 NED!!!
June 2, 2011.. Pet Scan results .. NED!!!
Nov 3, 2011.. CT scan results.. NED!!!
Sept. 18, 2012 .. our loving mom has passed on ..Heaven received a most precious angel.

graphic by
http://www.maryslittlelamb.com[/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:12 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

Sue, I am so sorry to hear this sad news. My heart goes out to you. Will be thinking of you.

Warm hugs,
Sharon

41 yr old female diagnosed Aug 04 adenocarcinoma stage 4 and unable to have radiotherapy. Gemzar/Carbo kept it stable and then progressed after 3 months. Started Tarceva April 05 and there has been significant shrinkage in primary tumour in right lung and numerous nodules in left lung. lesions on vertebra and on liver have also shrunk.
Scan 9th Aug 05 shows all is stable and only primary tumour 1.4cm x 1.5cm remains in lungs. All other nodules are gone!! Lesion on spine still 6mm.

May 08 - Mets to left hip and right shoulder. Pleural effusion in left lung, drained 1.3 litres. Numerous nodules in both lungs. Start radiotherapy 2nd June then Alimta end of June.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:12 pm 
Legacy Member

Sue--I'm very sorry to hear about Mike. My condolences to you and your family. Rich

http://lungevity.org/l_community/viewto ... 2155#72155

QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR DOCTOR / HELPFUL LINKS:
http://lungevity.org/l_community/viewto ... 585#163585

You must, on your own, make the commitment that you will do everything in your power to fight your disease. -Advanced stage lung cancer survivor RA Block-

Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
-Buddhist Quote On Gratitude-

It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth -- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up, we will then begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had.
-Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross-

We have no right to ask when sorrow comes, "Why did this happen to me?" unless we ask the same question for every moment of happiness that comes our way. -Author Unknown-

Top Ten Reasons Why I’m A Lung Cancer Survivor

10. Not going into funeral mode the day I was diagnosed. I never once thought this was it, that life was over or why bother. Lung Cancer is not a death sentence and one can be cured of it or still have a life living with it for many years.
9. Not dwelling on it. How I got it, why me, what if I did this/that or the blame game etc. It’s counter productive and wasted energy.
8. RESEARCH, RESEARCH and more RESEARCH. Knowledge is the key! The more one knows the better one can make decision with their doctor and better fight. Keeping it simple, does not really matter to me every little word on a report. Try to get down to the chase of what is going on and what needs to be done.
7. Living life to the fullest by making the best of it every day and by keeping busy. Life is short enough so why let a day go by.
6. I appreciate everything my family/friends do for me. I let them (especially Kathy and Tina) know how much it means to me and how much I love them.
5. Not making my disease about me. It affects my family/friends just as much if not more. My life has changed and I have to learn to adjust to the new normal. If I can’t do things or go places does not mean they can’t. It’s very important they have a life and go about it.
4. Keeping an open mind about treatments. Don’t know unless you try. Laughter, it’s the best medicine, does not have to be all doom and gloom. Exercise, it’s good for overall health and a great stress reliever. Healthy (common sense) diet, this one I need to improve on. I can eat in a coma.
3. Staying positive and having a good attitude. YES it does make a difference regardless of what adversity one faces. Have my days like anyone else but they are few and far in between.
2. All my doctors/nurses. I’m very blessed/fortunate to have a great medical team and great health coverage.
1. My wife.my daughter and my closest friend I love them the most and they mean the most to me. I owe it to them, there the ones who have stood by my no matter what and showed me the true meaning of family, life and love is all about. You can lead a horse to water but can’t get it to drink. Bottom line it’s up to me to be pro-active, to keep trying and to never never never give up!

Last edited by dadstimeon on Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Sue
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:18 pm 
Legacy Member

Sue,
I'm so sorry to hear this. Mike fought a good fight with you right by his side. God bless Mike and welcome him home. Praying for you and your family.
Joanie ((()))

(16 Doses twice daily)
And
4 Rounds Cisplatin/Etopside Chemo
All therapy completed June, 2002
Back to Work July, 2002
Diagnosed Hypothyroid, Nov. 2004
(due to radiation)
Evidence of healing on each CAT scan.
All scans Clear
Last Check Up Sep. 2005 - NED
Dec.12, 2005 Uncontrolled bleeding from tumor cavity. Emergency surgery performed which closed the hole permanently. Healing continues and I look forward to a bright future.
June, 2006 - NED on CAT SCAN. Scan shows IMPROVEMENT from December. Hurray! Experienced fevers through summer. Took antibiotics.
July, 2006 six month Oncologist visit. All is well! Go back in December. Hurray!
August 8,2006 Sudden,uncontrolled bleeding from surgery site. The tumor site was repatched with my own aumentim. All looks successful and I was released from the hospital after 33 long days.
Oct.19, 2006 bleeding returns.Tests reveal hospital-acquired germ has eaten away at tumor repair sight. Results in 2 more operarations and 13 days in hospital.
Recuperating at home. Daily nurse visits to change bandages on incision site.
March, 2007 - NED CAT Scan. Incision healing nicely.
April, 2007 - 5 year anniversary! Still bandaging the incision daily.
July CAT Scan - NED once again.
July 2007, operation to open surgical incision to promote healing. Still bandaging daily.
July, 2007 - was called a "walking miracle" by four doctors at the hospital. They were truly amazed to hear my story.
1/14/08: Lost my best pal, Dagwood, to old age at 14 years on . He helped me thru this struggle and I will miss him forever. I still consider myself to be "Daggiesmom."
Feb. 25, 2008: Finally had the repair surgery (9 hours and 7 days in the hospital) to close hole in my bronchus and to close surgical packing hole in back which has been open for 16 months. I expect to be healing for a few months.
January 2009 - I've healed nicely from the February operation and the CAT scan today showed NED once again!
March 11, 2009. Hemoptosys again and admitted to hospital. Due to bacterial infection. Bleeding stopped and I'm on antibiotics. Seems I am prone to these bleeds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:20 pm 
Legacy Member

Oh Sue Sweetie, I'm sooooo soooooooo sorry!

(((((((((((((((SUE))))))))))))))))))

Your in my thoughts and prayers. I can't believe this! :(

7/25/1995 had Left Lung Removed along with several lymph nodes.
9/9/95 Started Chemo (VP-16/Cisplatin), & Radiation (36 treatments). Cancer Free.
8/11/2003 CT Scan found 4mm Nodule Right Upper Lung. Did PET scan & Nodule Lite up. Also found a Tumor in my Left Atrium (Heart)
8/21/03 Open Heart Sugery for Myxoma Tumor in Left Atrium. During heart surgery (3) surgeons checked 4mm nodule & agreed it did not appear to be cancerous.
11/2004-CT & PET scan, nodule still there 6mm will watch.
4/2005-CT, Nodule still there and has grown to 8mm will do another CT in 9/2005. Waiting & watching nodule.
9/2005 CT Nodule has shrunk to 5mm. Doctor's feel nodule could be scar tissue.
2/2006 Having Shortness of Breath problems.
4/2006 CT, nodule 5mm No Change.
11/2006 CT scan no change in Nodule.
4/26/07 Results of CT scan shows I have another Noudule. Now have two nodules, one is 6-7mm & the new one is about 3mm.
9/2007 CT shows 3 nodules all mm in size. First 2 have no change in them. New one is very small. Repeat CT in 6 months.
12/11/07 Still NED
5/7/08 CT (right lung) (nodules watch) two new nodules I now have 5 nodules. Will watch via CT scans.
10/08 CT Scan showed 1 nodule 6mm has grown to 1.2cm.
5/22/09 CT Scan (awaiting results)
7/4/09 PET Scan (3 nodules in left lung are now 1.4c.m in sizes.
8/13/09 Did Bronhcoscopy
8/18/09 NOT Cancer, no cancer found.
Next PET Scan Oct 2009.

READ MY STORY @ http://www.lungevity.org/l_community/vi ... hp?t=13224

Lost my Father age 56(1970), Mother age 66 (1987), and Sister age 43 (1988) all to Lung Cancer
AVATAR is in Iowa @ the Presidential Cancer Forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:21 pm 

So very sorry for your pain.
Geri

Good for another 6 months!
Dec 2004, another clean bill of health. next check w/scans may be my last!
June 2005, another good check up, next appt in a year and then I'm finished!!!
Sept 2005, Pericardial effusion, window cut, no cancer found, thought to be viral in origin.
Back to 3 month check with oncolgist. but NED is still my best friend.
Jan 2006, everything still clean, this cancer officially cured. Next check up in a year. NED still in residence.
Jan 2007 clean bill of health again!
April 2007 dx breast cancer, surgery in May and June. Lymph node involvement
August 2007, started chemo, radiation will follow
Dec 2007 Chose no radiation, risks high for small benefit because of lc radiation. Chemo causing shortness of breath.
Jan 2008 Talc procedure done after needle aspiration doesn't work for long (2 days). Now using oxygen most of time.
Feb/Mar 2008 One month hospital stay due to congestive heart failure, low blood pressure and high heart rate. Permanant valve damage.
Mar/Aug 2008 fighting for breath and energy.
Aug 2008 started breast cancer adjunct therapy, life was miserable with side effects
Oct 2008 changed medications and life was even more miserable. This one lasted another month.
Dec 2008, feel better than in last 2 years, finally I am myself again and no bc treatments!
Jan 2009 PET shows no sign of malignancy ANYWHERE! Echocardiograms are now more regular for me than cancer screens.
I now take pills that conteract pills that conteract pills that conteract pills...............and on and on, but I'm still entertaining NED and life is good.
August 2009, CT still clear, back in 6 months for another CT. NED still lives here!
Dec 2009 More congestive heart failure looming.
Feb 2010 Heart block - code blue but eventually brought back, pace maker installed, new birthday Feb 6th - I came back!!!!
March 2010 Heart damaged beyond repair,only a couple of months left to live. Not a transplant candidate (2 cancers) so LVAD implanted. I'm still on the green side of the sod but now as the bionic woman and my future is still as long as it would have been before lc..........expiration date unknown (or long as I remember to change my batteries) !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:21 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

Sue,

I am so sorry over your loss of Mike. He fought a courageous battle with you by his side. God Bless you my dear Friend.

CharlieD

7/23/04 CT Stable
8/27/04 Last Chemo. Three month break
9/03/04 CT Stable
12/02/04 CT Suspicious
12/14/04 Started Iressa
12/16/04 Stress Test showed heart blockage. Angioplasty sked 01/14/05
12/22/04 Off Iressa, started Tarceva (Resulting from manufacturer ltr)
1/01/05 Off Tarceva violent side effects
1/14/05 Angioplasty completed. Blockage fixed
Cat scan sked 1/20/05
1/22/05 CT results mstly stable. Possible increase in fluid in Pleural Effusion. Thoracentsis sked to analyze fluid
2/01/05 Chest Xray showed no free flowing fluid
Thoracentsis cnld. Start Alimta 2/10/05
3/09/05 CT Scan after 2nd Alimta Tmt. Results show mostly stable with areas of improvement. Hooray!!
4/14/05 Possible Brain MET. MRI of brain revealed only old scar. Empty Head
4/25/05 Cat Scan after 4th Alimta. Thirty percent shrinkage of main tumor and sig improvement elsewhere.
5/26/05 Sixth Alimta tmt. Cat scan sked 6/09/05.
6/9/05 CAT Scan Results: Stable
Three month Chemo Break. CAT Scan
CT 9/08/05 showed progression of disease in Rt and L lung. Slight increase in fluid in Pleural Effusion. Will begin Chemo Taxotere or Navelbine. Doc suggests 2 month wait and see due to no symptoms.
CAT Scan sked 11/14/05
11/14/05 CT results little to no progression. Stable. Clinical trial offered Zemplar with Gemzar.
12/06/05 Began Phase 1 Clinical Trial.12/27/05 Doc stopped clinical trial. 1/03/06 summoned to RPCI for exam due side effects.
Xrays promising. Cat Scan Sched 2/06/06 for final analysis of Trial.

2/06/06 Cat scan showed shrinkage in main tumor and stable elsewhere. Three month break next appt in May.
24/04/06 Brain MRI due to slight numbness in right hand. Small brain met noted.
03/05/06 Began WBR times 15. Gamma Knife after if required.
15/05/06 Followup CT after Clinical Tial. Results stable disease, no progression
25/05/06 WBR times 15 complete.
29/06/06 MRI sked for followup.
Pic: "Trixie"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:23 pm 
Director of Support & Advocacy, LUNGevity

OH no Sue,
I'm so incredibly sorry. My heart is hurting for you.

I continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. Please accept my warmest condolences.

(((hug)))

:cry:

18 yr cancer survivor.
Certified Patient Navigator
www.iamkatiebrown.com

In memory of Jessee Dewey, SCLC
December 29, 1938 - September 6, 2003
Lisa Dewey- Jan. 22, 2007

my parents are together in heaven
ImageImage

facebook http://www.facebook.com/lungevity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:43 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

(((Sue)))

I can't even begin to tell you how sorry I am for your loss,It is totally devasting.. Please except my deepest condolences you will be in my prayers.
Michele

3-16-05 Phone call from DR Mass on top of Lung thats pushing on his vocal cord need to schedule a pet-scan and biopsy.
pet scan & biopsy done in late March.
4-1-05 The dreaded phone call it's CANCER ( adenocarcinoma )but the good news is it's no place else in his body
4-21-05 start chemo & Radiation Dr said he should be able to get it.
6-26-05 Tumor gone nothing but scar tissue! yea!!
08-04-05 put into Hospital with Radiation Pneumonitis sent home with Oxygen and steroids on 8-14-05 everything looking good.
10/05 DR starting to take him off the steroids. Dad's not feeling well but they keep telling us its withdrawl from the steroids. IT'S NORMAL (yea right)
11/13/05 Dad's stomach looking very swollen but he was sitting up eating watching Football,how bad could it be.
11/14/05 Mom calls DR - Bring him in for a cat-scan Dr calls that afternoon wants to see him in his office at 5:00 that night. THE CANCER IS BACK! It's in his stomach need to start Chemo.
11-16-05 bring him for chemo but instead they admit him into the Hospital to drain his stomach and will start chemo Thursday 11-17-05.
11-17-05 waiting for them to come and get Dad for his chemo treatment but instead the Dr comes in and tell us that there not going to do chemo the Cancer is taking over his body and now all they can do is make him comfortable.
You could have knock us over with a feather. Dad looks a me, my sister and my Mom and says "I GUESS THATS IT"(OMG)Dad was fully awake he new everything that way going on.He got to say Goodbye to his Family and everyone who was important to him.
My Dad was only 66 years old.
My Grandfather passed away on 9-21-05 he was 96 years old. (my Dad's Father)
Friday 11-18-05 Dad passed away at 12:29pm Very peaceful.
THE WORSE DAY OF MY LIFE!
My Dad was tired of the fight.
We Miss him so much!
Michael Ciuffo

I Miss My Dad SO SO Much I can't stand the pain!
The best Dad ever!
12-22-38 to 11-18-05

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:44 pm 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

Sue I am so very sorry. You are in my prayers.

Mom 75yrs. Dx'd 2/2005 SCLC-limited

Mom lost her fight on 10/16/05

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:58 pm 

Oh Sue... My heart just sank when I read this. I'm so sorry. I hurt with you and for you. I'm just so sorry.

My Mom, Carol, was diagnosed with Stage IV NSCLC with several mets to the bones in November of 2004, when she was 57. Treatment included radiation to relieve the bone pain, Zometa to strengthen her bones, Cisplatin/Gemzar as a first line treatment, and Alimta as a second line treatment. Mom was referred to hospice while waiting for a Perifosine trial to begin, and she died July 19, 2005. Not a day goes by that I don't long for my mama.
]

www.digtoesin.wordpress.com
www.newwaylc.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:09 pm 

Oh no. I was just looking to see if you'd done an update. I am so sorry Sue. I am so sorry you lost your Mike.
Rochelle

"Never, never, never give up." Winston Churchill

"I rang for ice, but this is ridiculous." -Madeline Talmadge-Astor, as she was being helped off the Titanic

"Losing love is like a window in your heart, everybody sees you're blown apart, everybody sees the wind blow". Paul Simon

Husband John has NSCLC-Vena Cava Syndrome Stage 3B, Dx 6/02
Carbo/Taxol,Radiation
Taxotere
Gemzar
Iressa started 3/03
10/03 Stable CT scan
1/04 CT Still stable.
3/04 PET Scan, Still stable.
7/04 Still stable
1/05 Still stable
1/30/05 Iressa discontinued Started Tarceva, still stable 7/05
1/06 Slight increase in tumor, stopping Tarceva.
1/27/06 Started Alimta
5/5/06 Avastin added to Alimta
6/14/06 Stable, continue w/ Avastin
1/29/07 Shrinkage! Continue w/ Avasin.
7/07- Something new on the CT scan, doing a bronc 7/25/07 to see what it is. 8/21/07 begins brachytherapy. Next treatment postponed until 9/6/7 due to an infection which is making him too ill for the procedure. 9/13/07 Diagnosed with Aspergillus. Has brachytherapy 9/20/07. Developed a pericardial effusion, 10/30/07 has a pericardial window to drain the fluid. Procedure goes well but he passes away 10/31/07 due to a pulmonary hemorrhage.
Pic is me and daughter Jillian aka The Jillinator.

Visit Walk the Walk:
www.michiganlungcancerwalk.org

Post subject: ShineladySue
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:16 pm 

Sue I am so very sorry for your loss. Please accept my condolences for you and your family.

Prayers

Staged IIA by PET Scan.
Restaged to IIIA by surgeon prior to surgery, after he examined PET and CT Scan results.
4/7/05 Completed 6 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy (taxol/carboplatin).
4/29/05 CT Scan.
5/21/05 PET Scan.
5/31/05 Met with surgeon, PET Scan showed nodule in left lung lit up that never lit up before.
6/9/05 Biopsy=OK nodule is scar tissue.
7/1/05 BRONCHOSCOPY,
MEDIASTINOSCOPY, THORACOTOMY SURGERY=ALL MARGINS CLEAN, 20 LYMPH NODES REMOVED. PLUS ONE RIB BONE. ALL NEGATIVE FOR CANCER.
8/9/05 & 9/1/05 ADJUVANT CHEMO. 10/4/05 1ST CT SCAN="Defined patchy density at the superior segment of the right lower lobe. Findings are most likely related to recent surgery and/or posttreatment change, however, this should be followed on subsequent studies".
1/3/06 Brain CT=Clear;Chest CT=Scar Tissue.
1/4/06 ONE YEAR SINCE DIAGNOSIS
4/1/06 Brain & Chest CT=NED. 6/13/06 XRAY=NERD.
7/1/06 ONE YEAR SINCE SURGERY.
10/25/06 CT=NED.
1/4/07 TWO YEARS SINCE DIAGNOSIS
5/3/07 CT=NED.
7/1/07 TWO YEARS SINCE SURGERY.
11/6/07 CT=NED
PLEASE continue to keep me in your prayers.WHEN PRAISES GO UP, BLESSINGS COME DOWN.[/size]
1/4/08 THREE YEARS SINCE DIAGNOSIS
3/20/08 CT=NED
6/20/08 X-RAY=NED
7/1/08 THREE YEARS SINCE SURGERY.
10/27/08 CT=NED
1/4/09 FOUR YEARS SINCE DIAGNOSIS
3/26/09 X-RAY=NED
7/1/09 FOUR YEARS SINCE SURGERY.
9/17/09 CHEST X-RAY CEA BLOOD TEST=NED
1/4/10 FIVE YEARS SINCE DIAGNOSIS
3/29/10 X-RAY=NED
10/5/10 CT=NED
4/1/11 X-RAY=NED
7/1/11 SIX YEARS SINCE SURGERY
10/10/11 X-RAY=NED
4/15/12 CT/PET=NED
4/18/13 CT=NEW 3MM NODULE FOUND ON UPPER LEFT LOBE
10/17/13 CT=NED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:18 pm 

Oh Sue, Please please accept my deepest condolences on Mikes passing. I was devistagated when I read your post.

When you can please post to us, so we can help you through this.

Mike was so brave and a warrior of a fighter. You were right by his side every step of the way.

Peace be with you.

Maryanne

Adenocarcinoma- stage 1B
Lobectomy Left upper lobe on 12/15/04
biopsy on lymph nodes - negative NED
1/13/04 Oncologist appt.to see about preventive Chemo.
Cancelled due to chronic fatigue
1/12 fentynal patch for pain
1/14 discontinued Fentynal patch bad reaction
1/15 Blood test showed high T levels
2/1 Endoconrinologist visit diagnosed over-active thyroid
2/8/05 took Radioactive Iodine to kill thyroid
2/16/05 appetite back, fatigue leaving
2/24/05 visit with Pulmonary Doc. Breathing at 96% capacity,
Next visit 3 mos.
3/9/05 Endocrinologist visit -T levels went from 25 down to 5.
3/30 started Synthoid(thyroid med)
3/31 Oncologist. appt. CT results NED...
4/14 starting adjunctive Chemo (carbo/taxol) 4 treatments
3 weeks apart.
6/15/05 Joel finished chemo, chest X-ray clear, Next CT in August
9/01/05 1st CT since Chemo.. NED
11/17/05 CT - small nodule found 4 or 5 mil. in his good lung
1/10/06 CT - nodule Stable
7/2006 CT/ Nodule stable
10/2006 CT Nodule seem to have grown from 4 to 7 mil.
10/2006 Pet- showed some uptake
10/2006- operation- wedge section right upper lobe turned out to be cancerous 2 nodules next to each other. 2 different types of cancer. 1 squamous cell carcinoma (new primary)2- adenocarcinoma-(not sure if new primary or metastasis)
May be restaged to IIIB
11/07/2006 will start 4 rounds of taxotere. 3 weeks apart. Will take Decadron before, day of and day after. Will get a shot of Leunesta the day after. Here we go again.. Joel's attitude.... great as usual
Horrible reaction to the neulasta shots. One night(New Years eve) went to ER. Spent 3 days in hosptal.
Feb 2007 finished chemo.
March 2007 had his CT .. as expected right now all is clear.
June 2007 NED!!!
Sept 07- CT- small nodule 3.5 mm
Going to do another CT in 6 weeks.
October 07- CT done, results STABLE...YEA
Jan. 2008... STABLE!!!
April 2008 little growth but still called stable
July 17 208 nodule doubled in size to 9mm. Needs Pet Scan, tests, hopefully cyberknife...
July 29 met with his surgeon... said Cyberknife is the way to go.
August 1- Cyberknife visit... Joel is a canidate, its a go...Happy B-day Joel...
Sept 22, 2008 finshed up the last of 3 cyberknife procedures
Nov. had CT scan
Nov. 9th results of CT from Cyberknife..... Tumor completely gone... right now NED!!!
Feb. 09- Pet/CT results. . . NEd!!!
May 09 Pet/CT results. . . NED!!!
Sept. 09 Pet/CT results.....NED!!
Jan. 2010--- NED!! Pet now will be every 6 months.
June 8,2010 Pet scan on our Anniversary... hope thats a good sign..
June 17, NED!!!
Dec. 30,2010... NED!!!
June 20,2011... NED!!!
March 2012....NED!!!

pic of Joel and our daughter Nicole at walk NOV. 07

[img]http://www.freewebs.com/beansprouts2005/nik_and_dad_1LC_walk.jpg[/img]

http://www.babababies.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:37 pm 

Sue,
I can't stand this news.
I am here.
You know how to get me
God, please help Sue.
I am just broken w/ sadness.
Love
Pat

3/2/05 1st cycle Cisplatin / VP16 - Tolerated fairly well.
3/23/05 2nd cycle - really knocked Brian for a loop. Lots of nausea and weakness.
4/5/05 scan 4/13/05 (onc visit/results/begin 3rd round:mixed news: reduction in tumor sizes TX plan: 2 more rounds of Cisplatin/Vp16 Weekly labs to watch low hmglbn (injections prn)
4/20/05 Brain MRI (Bri joins empty head club!)
4/27/05 Portacath installation
5/4/05 4th round cpltn/VP16 much difficulty w/ side effects.
5/10/05 scans show no further reduction of lung or liver tumors.
5/25/05 5th cycle Cis/VP16 postponed till 5/31/05 (need time to rebound a bit) round 5 was rough: exhaustion, labored breathing, fever, anxiety.
6/23/05 Doc appointment to address above and okay Tarceva start. Lung Xray done to check for pneumonia as possible explanation for fever.
6/24/05 Begin Tarceva 150mg daily.
next scheduled onc appt or PRN for 8/4/05
6/27/05 OOPS PRN came sooner rather than later>call from onc: chest film showed lung tumor growing quickly
6/27/05 CT scheduled for 7PM
6/30/05 Bad news per CT: progression. Brian is too weak for more chemo so praying that Tarceva will halt growth while Brian gathers strength to fight on.
8/2Scans
8/4/2005 onc appt:Bad news Rapid progression. Off Tarceva.
8/4 began Carboplatin/CPT-11 Praying!
9/1/2005 Chemo had been postponed due to low white blood cells, but began again today.
9/8/2005 next infusion
Brian is very ill, problems w/ voice. Scans & Visit moved up:
9/16/2005 CT Scan
9/19/2005 Onc says scans show significant reduction in tumor volume. Plan is to continue CPT 11 alone for 3 more weeks then 2 weeks off so Brian can gain strength for family wedding in FL on 10/22/05. Carboplatin has to be stopped due to progressing nueropathy.
10/17-19/05 Bri hospitalized with abdominal pain and fever.
10/20-24/05 FL for wedding (Brian was really too sick to go, but we realized that too late)
10/27/05 Scans taken during hospitalization show remarkable progression of disease. Brian begins Alimta and Sandostatin.
He is very ill and spending more and more time in bed.
11/10/2005 No more Alimta. Liver enzymes out of control. More progression. He is receiving Navelbine and low doses of Carboplatin. Brian continues to trend downward.
12-22-05 Onc says no more tx. Brian is too weak.
12-24-05 Hospice called in.
1/01/06 Brian is called Home.
Brian's love remains a great gift. I miss him like fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:50 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Sue,
I'm so sorry. My sincere condolences.
Joan

05/05 - 6 rounds of chemo and avastin
primary tumor is shrinking
11/05 - finished chemo and continuing with avastin 1x month
mri - stable
11/05 some pain in legs - will speak to dr. on friday
11/05 pain is much better. Dr. set up MRIs and CT for end of Dec. and early Jan.
12/05 Dr. is concerned and pushed MRIs up.
So happy and lucky...everything is status quo. now just to get through CT scan in January.
1/06 - CT stable
3/06 - CT stable (yea!)
4/06 - MRI shoulder - been having pain - no evidence of disease - arthritic changes
4/25/06 - first Grandchild born
4/28/06 - hospitalized for dehydration - did MRI brain - empty
5/06 - CT scan - Stable (one year)
6/06 - MRI - spine
7/06 - results not good. growth of tumor on sacrum and slight growth on spine. 10 days of radiation and then probably chemo or clinical trial
7/07 - 7/09/06 - hospitalized - severe vomiting from ??? radiation or food poisoning or pain med reaction
8/06 - STABLE
9/06 - hospitalized again for start of dehydration
9/06 - Brain CT - empty
9/06 - Docs have concluded that my symptoms
are being caused by "stress". Wedding
perhaps
10/31 CT, chest, abdomen and hips - STABLE
12/2006 - WBR - 10 days worth - cancer cells surrounding brain. (we'll get em!)
1/2007 - WBR - all done - still feeling well.
2/2007 - finished new 5 pill a month Temodar chemo treatment. Feeling great, considering...just a little tired.
picture of my husband, my daughter Dana and me. Oct 22nd 2006.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:11 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

OH, IM SO SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT MIKE. I'LL BE PRAYING FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

HUG,BETH

10/14/05 Released from hospital did well.
10/20/05 Dad was told the specifics on his cancer. His cancer was staged as III B adenocarcinoma with (BAC) features.
10/27/05 Consult with chemo & radio oncologists. Dad was marked for 1st treatment. Dad will receive concurrent treatments for 6-8 weeks.
10/28/05 Dad has first treatments chemo & radio therapy.
12/05 Lots of coughing. Beginning to burn in his chest. Dr. prescribed MAGIC mouthwash, but dad refuses to have it filled.
12/05 Dad has been coughing up green pleghm and sometimes blood. I spoke with doctor he thinks its nasal drip and prescribes Allegra and Mytussin.
12/05 Coughing on couch passed out and fell off couch. Dr. ordered to go to E.R. and have brain scan to check for mets.(CLEAR) Thank GOD!!!
12/05 Chest CT showed pleural effusion (R) lung.
12/22/05 Real weak, chemo day. He had low RBC's and was given 1st Procrit shot and told to take iron tablets. His BP was low also.
12/29/05 Chemo day- very low BP and the doctor started giving him IV fluids to stabilize it. After four hours it was somewhat stable. The doctor told my mom to monitor my dad's BP over the holiday weekend...dad didn't allow her to purchase one.
01/03/06 Radiation today... checked BP was fairly low.
01/06/06 Scheduled for labs and follow-up. Depending these results doctor may say dad can resume chemo.
Follow-up went okay...will get three week break from chemo. Dad finished radiation.
01/08/06 Dad seems to be so much more unhealthy than before. Sleeping lots,vomiting,coughing and a little dehydrated.
01/12/06 Dad needed a blood transfusion. His hemaglobin was extremely low.
01/12/06 Check-up and given fluids for five hours.
01/13/06 Went to oncologist appointment and was extremely SOB and low BP. He was given 5 hours of fluids. He was given a O2 test and was to dizzy to finish. After fluids were in they tested again and in 2 minutes dad became clammy, pale, SOB, low BP, and so exausted. His O2 dropped from 95 to 75 during 2 minutes. His doctor had left for the day and his nurse ordered O2 to be delivered to his house. We left and drove him home and got him settled. He was later called to the E.R. He was DX with multiple tumors, pneumonia in both lungs and fast pulse,unstable O2 and BP.
01/17/06 He never got better and was moved to C.C.U. He was fitted with all kinds of O2 mask but nothing gave him enough. Dad struggled all night and the next day.
01/18/06 Dad told us he was miserable and couldn't live like that. All day he deteriorated until he was put on a ventilator at 5:20p.m. Dad waited for me to come in at 8:25 and he had dropped his pulse from 140 to 26 and they made me leave. My dad waited until my husband could be with me.

D.O.B 09/25/43
DX 09/17/06
DIED 01/18/06

Grandma-LC died 10/10/87
Aunt-LC died 08/23/02
Uncle-LC 1b surgery 08/05 no further treatment needed for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:13 pm 
OVER 1500 POSTS !
OVER 1500 POSTS !

Sue,

I can not express how sorry I am. Your Mike fought a
brave brave battle. He is at peace. May God wrap his
arms around you.

I am very sorry for your loss. I will hold you in my
prayers.

(((Sue)))

Husband Alan 58 dx small cell LC
1/10/05 chest x-ray shows 7 x 7 cm mass right hilar region
1/12/05 broncscopy confirms small cell L.c w/ superior vena cava syndrome
1/12/5 1st radiation treatment
1/18/05 meet with medical oncologist
1/20/05 1st chemo treatment cisplatin-CPT 11
1/21/05 brain, bone, adomen scans all clear
1/27/05 2nd chemo treatment CPT-11
1/31/05 Alan admitted to hospital,high fever,
infections
2/5/05 released from hospital
2/13/05 Alan admitted to hospital in a sever
altered state, cause unknown, brain scan clear
2/15/05 Alan returns to reality
2/17-18-19 new chemo given in hospital
Cisplatin VPT 16. this would turn out to be
Alan's last chemo treatment
2/20 released from hospital
2/23 re-admitted due to recurrance of altered
state. dx organic psycosis caused by Decadron
2/26/05 platlette transfusion then released
from hospital
3/1/05 follow up appointment with oncologist,
something not right Alan rushed across the
street re-admitted back into the hospital
11:00am Bilateral pneumonia
3/1/05 7:00pm Alan condition declining. 10
liter oxygen, BP very low, heart rate too high
Alan now taken to ICU I am asked what life
saving measures I want hospital to take
3/2/05 Alan made it through the night.
3/5/05 6:00am hospital calls me at home,
Alan crashing again, need to get there
asap.may have to go on vent.
3/5/05 emergancey broncoscopy to remove
fluid from Alan's lungs, keeps him off vent still not out of the woods
3/11/05 confirmed Alan has a blood infection.
now VRE infectous disease specialist called in
3/12/05 2 pints of blood
3/16/05 blood clot found behing alan's left knee
3/17/05 chest tube put in
3/18/05 Alan misses his daughter's wedding
3/19/05 Alan's birthday, finally out of ICU and
transfered to cancer ward
3/22/05 Chest CT 4 new spots in left lung
3/24/05 broncoscopy to biopsy new spots
3/31/05 Alan finally home on oxygen 24/7
4/18/05 Alan's case brought before tumor board
4/22/05 follow up chest CT no changes in new spots
4/27/05 appointment with oncologist Alan still
too weak to try chemo. discontinued at this time. Tumor is shrinking
5/9/05 Alan starts 35 chest radiation treatments
6/3/05 tumor still shrinking blood work getting better
6/28/05 last radiation treatment oxygen only at night now
6/30/05 appt with med onc, Alan having
headaches brain MRI ordered
7/7/05 Brain MRI completed
7/12/05 confirmed Brain mets. 3.0 x 3.5cm
tumor in the right cerebellar hempisphere
w/sever edema crushing brain stem
7/12/05 start WBR Alan unable to take decadron
7/14/05 Alan in emergancy room dehydrated
from vomiting caused by brain swelling
8/1/05 I decide to take FML and spend time with Alan
8/15/05 Alan makes remarkable recovery and
we leave for 3 week vacation
9/1/05 last radiation treatment to brain tumor
9/28/05 follow up brain MRI no sign of tumor!!!!
11/11/05 Chest CT 1 spot has increased from
1.3cm back to 3.0cm watch and wait
1/10/06 made it 1 year, Brain MRI
show no further cancer
3/10/06 CT Scan Lungs Stable
6/20/06 CT Scan Lungs new 3cm mass
6/22/06 PET Scan negative. watch and wait.
7/18/06 Needle biopsy done, waiting results
7/21/06 get the call NED

1/02/07 confirmed cancer in the right supraclavicular lymph node
1/03/07 Start Radiation treatments
2/27/07 Last Radiation treatment!!
6/4/07 NED once again!!!
12/20/07 cancer back in several lymph nodes. Chemo to start 12/26/07
01/18/08 Blood counts low, check into hospital for transfusion. Chemo delayed until counts come back up
02/08/08 Another blood transfusion
02/15/08 Blood counts back up continue chemo
02/29/08 Overnight stay in hospital for another blood transfusion
03/12/08 Thoracentesis 600cc of fluid drained from right lung.
03/22/08 Admitted to hospital for another blood transfusion
04/18/08 Admitted for 5th blood transfusion since Jan.
06/28/08 4:00pm Alan goes home to God.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:23 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Sue,
I am terribly sorry for your loss. Mike fought hard. Praying that you have the strength to get through this.

love,
jorja

6 rounds chemo finished Feb'04
Mar '05 radiation pneumenitis
Mar '05 CT scan CLEAR! tumor gone!
Mar '05 air leak into chest cavity due to lung collapse
Needs oxygen 24/7
June '05 NED and slowly weening off oxygen
Sept'05 NED
Sept'05 cataract surgery on both eyes
Jan'06 goes for 4 month follow up..still NED
Next app't is May 10
suspected shadow on x-ray
admitted to the ER
blood clot found on lung
tumor suspected to have reappeared
May 24, 2006 Lost his battle...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:34 pm 

Dear Sue,

I can only ditto what everyone else has said here, particularly Pat's words. I'm just stricken with sadness. I'm so sorry, and I pray for all of God's immense comfort to cover you, hold you up, and get you through the tough days ahead.

All my love,
Peggy

--9/03 Lung rad - 24 treatments
--9/03 Taxotere/Carbo, wkly
--Severe reaction to Taxotere 3rd wk
--11/03 Novalis (stereotactic rad to rem 6 brain tumors)
--12/03-2/04 Gemzar/Navelbine
--3/04 Lung: some shrinkage, Brain: 4 mets remain, largest 1.5 cm
--4/04 Severe shoulder pain-14 radiation treatments
--6/04 Progression of disease, 4 brain mets stable, more spread to bones, liver (small) and pericardium. Iressa & Zometa started.
--7/04 Slight inc pericardial effusion, slight shrinkage liver met, pleural effusion.
--9/04 PET and CT Scans all stable
--12/13/04 radiation fibrosis & extensive bony lesions. Brain MRI-4 mets remain - stable.
--3/05 Small growth in 2 brain tumors, pericardial effusion now "large". Significant progression to bones. Switching to Tarceva.
--5/27/05 Tarceva not working. Two new 2 cm. liver mets, extensive progression in bones. Pericardial effusion stable.
--6/1/05 Increased pain in hip
--6/10/05 Start Alimta, once every 3 weeks
--6/9/05 Start radiation to left hip 14 treatments; it worked!
--6/16/05 Brain mets nearly doubled in size, significant edema/swelling
--6/21/05 began 8 mg. Decadron daily for brain edema/swelling
--7/11/05 Novalis (SRS) to 5 brain mets (largest 4.0 cm.)
--7/22/05 3rd Alimta infusion – started SOB after 2nd infusion
--8/1/05 hospitalized for tests for severe SOB and focal seizures
--8/3/05 CT says severe alveolitis (destruction of lung cells) -VATS procedure done to biopsy to figure out what is causing. Both lungs are cancer free, but they say only three things could be causing the alveolitis: infection, cancer or chemo
--8/4/05 Doesn’t look good. Alveola cells are rapidly dying
--8/5/05 Biopsy says chemo. (8/8/05 – 2nd opinion biopsy result confirm chemo caused the alveolitis)

8/5/2005 The love of my life is living with the Lord and soaring on his motorcyle with the cool winds of heaven in his face

And we know that ALL things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28
The Message translation: That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good. Romans 8:28

He said ALL things, not SOME things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:36 pm 

Oh Sue, I am heart broken to hear of Mike's passing. I will be here for you anytime you need me. You are in my prayers through this. I know how you are hurting.

Wife of Dennis King, diagnosed with extensive SCLC 02-02. Treated with CPT-11 & Cisplatin as first round of treatment; Topetecan second round. Lost his brave battle with cancer 12-15-02. Dennis is lovingly missed by his family and friends each and every day!

"Each time we embrace a memory, we meet once again with those we love ~
for the heart never forgets."

Every now and then soft as breath upon my skin, I feel you come back again....and I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:39 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

I am so sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself.

IMRT 5x
Clinical Trial Velcade/Alimta
Ed stopped clincal trial, went back home to Seattle.
Died March 11, 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:39 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

I am so very sorry Sue. Many prayers continue for you to get through this very difficult time.

Lost Gram (75) to LC 3/13/05[/size]
MIL now fighting this BEAST.
Lost my beautiful Mom in law 12/19/09

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:42 pm 
Legacy Member

Oh no.. so very, very sorry, Sue.

I can only pray that you will somehow find some ease for this raw pain.

I am so sorry that your Mike is gone.

Cindi o'h

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:45 pm 

Dear dear Sue, I am so very sorry. May Mike rest in peace. I wish you comfort.

Earl born 1/28/42 - dx 9/21/02 - died 8/18/04. He was the sunshine of my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:47 pm 

Sue,

I am sooo sorry. I had a bad feeling when you didn't post last night. My prayers are with you and your family. Take care.

Tina

"Charlie didn't let life happen to him, he let life happen through him." Rev. Joe Green, 4/19/06

Husband Charlie, lived 27 months with stage IV NSCLC, adenocarcinoma,
51 yo at diagnosis; 53 at death
daughters now 19 & 13, niece 16
DX 01/09/04, Died 04/16/06 (Easter Sunday)
Treatments: (1) Carbo/Gemzar & radiation, (2) Navelbine and rad to neck lymph node, (3) Vanderbilt clinical trial of Targretin, (4)Alimta, (5) Tarceva, (6)Taxotere & rad to lymph node next to aorta, (7) Gemzar, (8)Etoposide, Carbo and Avastin with brachytherapy for bronchial tumors, and (9) CPT-11.

03/17/06 Charlie able to go with Rachel to get her "dream car"
04/16/06 Easter Sunday - taken to Heaven after having been able to go to our church drama on Saturday, helping me make Easter deviled eggs Sunday morning, enjoying a good family dinner and long talk with his dad in Florida

Feb. 28, 2008: My Mom likely has NSCLC
Mid-March: PET shows high SUVs; she is not healthy enough for biopsy or treatment; she falls and gets a bad leg wound and infection; aggressive daily painful treatments to save her leg.
June 10: CT shows stable disease; leg wound finally healing.
Sept: CT shows progression.
Late Dec. 2008: admitted to hospital for shortness of breath. Radiation started due to tumor pressing on her spine. Goes home on New Year's Day. Admitted to Hospice a few days later as palliative rad. continues for 3 weeks.
Late Jan. 2009: falls and breaks hip; repaired the next day and goes to rehab. facil. 4 days later...AMAZING!
Ups and downs at rehab. facil.
Transferred to Hospice House - wonderful people!
April 6, 2009 - my mom passes on with my brother and I by her side

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:08 pm 

Sue,

My condolences.

Cindy

3 cycles--cisplatin/gemzar
finished chemo 11/6/03
now 10 years post-lobectomy, annual x-ray and follow-up with surgeon
follow-up with oncologist every year/bloodwork and clinical exam

2001 early stage breast cancer/surgery and radiation only, no chemo needed. Mammograms once a year,

Just passed 12 year mark for the breast cancer and 10 year mark for the lung

Post subject:

Sue,

My condolences.

Cindy

3 cycles--cisplatin/gemzar
finished chemo 11/6/03
now 10 years post-lobectomy, annual x-ray and follow-up with surgeon
follow-up with oncologist every year/bloodwork and clinical exam

2001 early stage breast cancer/surgery and radiation only, no chemo needed. Mammograms once a year,

Just passed 12 year mark for the breast cancer and 10 year mark for the lung

Post subject:
OVER 1500 POSTS !
OVER 1500 POSTS !

so very sorry for your loss. May you find some peace this week.

gail

breast cancer 1993: lumpectomy/radiation
Both stage 1

Avatar picture - my guys at my 50th

Post subject: Mike
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:50 pm 

Sue, my heart is so heavy for you and your loss. My heartfelt sympathies. Don

Radiation: 10-12/02 (spine, fibula); 03-04/03 (hip); 06/03 (sacrum); 07/04 (rib); 12/04 (skull); 04-05/05 (right fibula - recurrence).

Chemo: (Carboplatin/Taxotere), 02-05/03 - effective in reducing tumors; 07-12/04 (Navelbine) to treat recurrence in other lung, lymph nodes, rib - effective in reducing tumors; 08-12/05 (Navelbine/Gemzar) to treat recurrence in hip sacrum, spine, rib, shoulder, and liver - held everything stable; Alimta 2-4/06 - no effect; Carboplatin/Taxol/Avastin,5-9/06 - effective in reducing tumors.
Zometa monthly for bone strength.

Staph infection, systemic, 12/02 - second port-a-cath installed. Bilateral pneumonia, 08/03. Septic staff infection, congestive heart failure, 09/06 - deceased

I am 11-yr. prostate cancer survivor, Stage II (two bouts). Also 9 yr. heart bypass surgery survivor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:13 pm 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

Dear Sue
Please know that you are not alone in your grief. I am so sorry for what you are going through.....
Love Karen

July 2003: Mum diagnosed with stage IV NSCLC (adenocarcinoma)
June 04 - Completed 6 cycles of Cisplatin and Gemcitabine ; CT scan on 28/06/04 shows stable primary tumour after some initial shrinkage. Continuing with complementary therapies until review with Onc in September.
20/09/04: CT scan reveals progression of disease.
27/09/04: Commencement of clinical trial - taxotere and an anti-angiogenesis trial drug.
23/11/04: CT scan shows stable primary tumour. Continuation with clinical trial.
21/12/04: CT scan shows stable primary tumour. Continuation with clinical trial.
11/01/05: Head CT reveals several brain mets. No longer eligible for clinical trial.
20/01/05: Commencing 10 sessions of WBR.
April '05: Commenced Tarceva
May '05: Multiple skeletal metastases. Radiation scheduled for 2 spinal lesions.
June '05: Chest CT reveals progression of disease.
August 4, 2005: Mum ended her battle.

Mum is a 19 year survivor of throat cancer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:27 pm 

Sue

I'm so sorry. Mike fought well and gave it all he had. You were at his side for every moment of it.

My sincere condolences.

gail p-m

Recurrance April 2003 -- Stage 4 with mets to bones (Adenocarcinoma with BAC features); Received 3 rounds of Carbo/Taxol --- very little change from chemo

Re-staged to Stage 3b-4 Sept. 2003

Received 35 radiation treatments; shrinkage of most spots; however, something "else" which wasn't there is now there and they're not sure what; another PET and CT in May

Aug. 2004 -- CT and PET -- STABLE; scans at 3 month intervals --- STABLE

May 2005 --- a new spot in the lung found when coughing up a bit of blood; spot showed on PET but not on CT; bronchoscopy confirmed recurrance but also seemed to stop the coughing up blood; oncologist decided to watch and wait

July 2005 -- coughing up blood again; put on Tarceva in late July

Aug. 2005-- many problems with Tarceva and it was discontinued; feeling better now

Spring 2006 -- rapid decline in weight though May 25 scan showed things essentially stable; feeling very weak, tired and unsteady on feet

Aug. 1, '06 - Dad passed away while fighting valiantly to the very end; he was still so strong physically and emotionally; an amazing 82 year old man; I miss him so much

**** Picture is of myself, Dad, and sister celebrating Dad's 80th birthday in Feb. 2004

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:59 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

Sue,
Sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. Praying that God grants you strength in the coming days.
Mary

01/18/06 PET Scan
01/19/06 Results - In remission. No detectable signs of cancer.
PRAISE THE LORD!
01/19/06 and 01/20/16 Chemo treatment.
Scheduled for final treatment
February 1 & 3 and see oncologist in 3-4 months.
01/21/06 Husband having trouble speaking...using word phrases not sentences...some slurring. Trip to ER...admitted STROKE. Complete recovery.
02/2006 - Low blood counts, admitted to hospital for blood tranfusion.
02/2006 Carotid Artery Surgery
04/11/06 PET/CT Scan - NED
08/15/06 PET/CT Scan - NED
12/12/06 PET/CT Scan - NED
04/04/07 PET/CT Scan - NED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:22 pm 
OVER 1500 POSTS !
OVER 1500 POSTS !

Oh no, Sue. I am so sorry that Mike is gone. :cry:

Mom, age 50, diagnosed with inoperable IIIa adenocarcinoma May 2004. Taking radiation and chemo. Upcoming rescans on July 6th, patiently waiting..
July 6 scans showed tumor reduced by 50%, but from the inside out, so still inoperable.
Continue radiation to the max (7000 rads) and chemo.
August-mom having a very tough time eating because of esophogus pain. Finished radiation end of July, so hopefully she can eat soon-she is hungry!! Sept 04-end of chemo/rad. Scans show that she is in remission. Dec 28 04 mom has been feeling fine until today when she had a seizure for the 1st time in her life. ER CT scan reveals at least 2 lesions on her brain. MRI shows 3 mets, began WBR on Dec 29. Dr says they will gamma knife later if any more mets appear. CT scan shows met on T-12 (spine) and back in lung. Alimta started Jan 18. She is so strong!! Mom had stereotactic radiosurgery on her brain in April and again in August. Radiosurgeon tends to think the surgery was successful, so he treated a new met in August. Mom had 6 Alimta treatments which has held her stable. She has not had any treatment for her spine met, but has a lot of pain in her back. Upcoming scan results on 8-16-05. CT scans and MRIs indicate stable lung disease, except for the brain mets. She is so brave!! 10-27-05 4 of the 5 brain mets were successfully treated with stereotactic radiosugery. 1 met still contankerous (right post frontal lobe) and causing her loss of mobility, her left side is uncontrollable. Upcoming treatment to be hyperbaric oxygen therapy if rad. necrosis or brain brachytherapy if tumor growth. 1-9-06 Mom had brain surgery to remove the necrosis. Dr. also found tumor growth whic he removed and implanted 35 brachytherapy seeds. Mom is in rehab hospital trying to relearn everything. Expected release date is 2-16-06. Mom left the inpatient rehab to go to a step down unit in a nursing home. I hate her being there with everything I am. Mom is coming "home" to live with me June 22. Mom is systemically better off than she has been in a long time, but she only has movement of her right side and confusion. We call her "Rocky". She is amazing... Mom came home to live with me on June 22. We had a few really wonderful weeks until she had knots forming on the side of her head. MRI confirms she has tumors growing all over her brain, under her skin, etc. Dr. referred her to in-home hospice. I love her with all my heart. 9-18-06 Mama left this world to be with our Lord. I will never stop missing her, loving her, and being proud to have been her daughter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:43 pm 

Sue,I am very sorry for the loss of Mike.

dianosed 04/29/2003 nsclc***left lung removed 06/18/2003***two checkups NED *** cancer back 10/10/03 mets to right lung *** 7 rounds chemo carboplatin & taxol at same time with 7 weeks of daily radiation***01/04/04 shrinkage***04/04/ still stable***07/04/04 stable***10/04/04 no change***03/04/05 cancer spread to windpipe blocking 80% of airway and also bottom r. lung and stump where l.lung was removed***03/24/05 had laser surgery to open windpipe & stent put in***03/24/05 chemo and radiation again same type and amount***07/20/05 tumors shrunk but not gone and new tumor in top r.lung***remaining lung in bad shape with lots of scar tissue***10/20/05 no evidence of more spreading***01/31/2006 scans stable***03/13/06 increased cancer in middle of chest and airway***06/22/06 no change***06/05/06 prostate trouble and catheter from 06/06/06 until 09/14/06 when surgery on prostate (no cancer)***10/08/06 spread again 3.5cm tumor on brain and 6.5 cm tumor back in middle of chest again***have done 14 WBR tx's and waiting for 1 x-knife tx upcoming***more chemo upcoming***12/20/06 no more chemo or radiation to chest area***placed on pallitive care***they will do as possible as anything arises***follow up mri in late january for brain tumors***also may need stent in esophogus for severe reflux and restricted size of esophogus***only two options left,treat and be very ill with almost no chance of getting or feeling better or maintain maximum quality of life as long as possible and be treated for comfort as problems occur.I am at the stage of this where I CHOOSE QUALITY.

I have a great wife,3 daughters and son-in-laws,5 grand daughters,1 grandson,and 1 great grand son.My goal in life is my 100th birthday as it always has been.

----------------------------------

picture is of me and my great grand son.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:07 pm 

Sue -
Nothing I can say, except that you will be in my prayers as you go through the coming weeks. You guys put up such an amazing fight, you should take great peace in knowing that YOU did EVERYTHING possible...and that Mike is FREE from this horrible disease. Over the past weeks, I have realized that I am sad because I miss my mom...not sad for her. Those left behind have the tough time, not those who leave. I am sure that Mike is soaring high.
Love to you,
Holly

10/05- New bone scan shows significant progression of mets to hips, femurs, ribs.
10/11/05 - "Mega-blast" of radiation on hip
10/10/05 - Chest scan shows progression of lung tumor - still no obvious lung symptoms
10/11/05 - Started Carbo/Zometa
10/18/05 - Gemzar only
11/1/05 Carbo/Gemzar/Zometa
11/8/05 Gemzar
11/22/05 CT scan of lung shows minor (mm) growth - continuing with chemo plan for now.
11/23/05 - Carbo/gemzar
11/29/05 - port installed. problems with it. praying it doesn't have to be repositioned
11/30/05 - Gemzar/Zometa/Procrit -very low red blood cell count.
12/12/05 - Carbo/gemzar
12/19/05 - Mom loses strength on right side. After a brain and neck scan, we find that the original radiated neck tumor has grown and is compressing spinal cord.
12/20/05 - Decision to stop chemo and unable to re-radiate neck tumor. Hospice called...all
treatment cancelled.
12/20/05 - Her beautiful grandchild Caroline Anne enters the world.
12/26/05 - Morphine pump installed. She is in no pain and is comfortable.
12/30/05 - Mom is very weak, sleeping a lot and eating/drinking very little.
1/7/2006 - Mom embarked on her glorious trip to Heaven. She died peacefully surrounded by her family. I do not know how we will ever recover.

I am my mom's only daughter and just gave birth to her first grandchild, Caroline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:48 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Sue, I'm shocked. How horrible. Please accept my sincere condolences. I'm so very sorry.

4/05 Complete response, had PCI
8/02/05 Pleural effusion drained and fluid benign.
Six-month xray clear.
4/04/06 went for scans. Catscan and blood test.
04/21/06 All is good, spot noted on Adrenal gland by Med Onc nurse, could have been on other scans. I missed this appt.
4/25/06 CT scan of Brain and Chest X-ray
4/28/06 NED. No "spot" noticed by the Rad Onc on the Adrenal. It's a bit swollen but doesn't appear to be malignant.
7/31/06 3.2 CM supraclavicular lymph node and 1 CM spiculated node at original tumor site in lung noted on CT report.
8/15/06 biopsy scheduled for supraclavicular node.
8/18/06 Got the call, small cell has returned.
8/29/06 Will start Cisplatin and Camptosar
10/24/06 Started third round of Cisplatin and Camptosar. CT scan reveals supraclavicular lymph node enlargement is resolved and lung lesion may be dormant or responsive to therapy.
12/19/06 I know it sounds crazy for recurrent small cell, but he's stable or ned for now.
Next scan in a month (January 15th or so)
1/19/07 Still has 15mm lesion in lung. Everything stable. No treatment for now, will rescan in two months.
4/20/07 MRI-My Dad has a met in his skull. It's not in his brain but attached to the interior cranial wall. Lung is still stable
4/23/07 Began targeted radiation to skull met every business day for three weeks.
5/24/07 Will have a chest xray in one month and a brain MRI in 6 weeks.
7/09-7/13/07- 5 sessions of Cyberknife to skull met. Scheduled is a MRI and consult in in 6 weeks.
8/13/07- Dad died at the age of 68 from either renal failure due to treatments or a pulmonary embolism. I so loved him, he was my guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:06 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

Dear Sue,

I am so very sorry .....Mike put up such a fight with this terrible disease. My prayers are with you
love, NancyT

Dad age 71 DX NSCLC Stage IV  12/04 Currently 6wks radiation IMRT 4/05 Due to weight loss unable to recieve Chemo at this time 7/05  CT shows some decrease in size of main tumor R lung,new tumor in L lung.  Considering Chemo, investigating options.8/05  Has decided not to go for chemo,trying to enjoy each day January 2006  Hospice called. On 4/25/06 as I was holding his hand, my Dad went peacefully went to heaven.  Dad, I will miss you forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:48 am 

Sue,
My deepest sympathy for your loss.

Mike will be all around you,
holding and helping you.

Love
Jackie

wanted, very peacefully during his sleep.
I miss you so much Mike.
Jackie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:23 am 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Sue,

My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Kel

5 rounds of chemo completed
28 days of radiation completed
10 days of PCI completed
Tumour not visible on scans - June 2004
Small mass on lung believed to be scar tissue
Pulm. embolism and pneumonia - Aug. 2004
X-rays and scans clear - Aug. 2004
X-rays clear - Oct. 2004
Ongoing blood clot in lung - Fall 2004
Shadow on x-ray - Nov. 2004
Successful hernia surgery - Dec. 2004
Growth in lung - Jan. 2005
Too weak for treatment and admitted into palliative care unit on January 6, 2005
Released from hospital March 18, 2005
Made it to Florida!!!
Re-admitted to hospital April 16, 2005; progression of disease
Broke hip April 25, 2005
Dislocated new hip one week later
Bone mets confirmed
Mom died peacefully May 24, 2005

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:43 am 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

I'm so very sorry. Mike fought long and hard, and you did everything to help him.

God be with you in these dark days.

Mom, Claire, has extensive sclc, met to pancreas
As of 12/9/03, brain and bone scans clear
Started CPT-11 and cisplatin
12/22 After 2 treatments, Mom sent to hospital with chemo reaction and staph infection
12/28 Mom home, will change chemo
1/5/04 Start carboplatin and vp-16
1/23/04 Blood clot in arm, but tumors have vanished from CAT scan!!!
2/18 Starting 25 doses of radiation to lung and pancreas
6/1 Clean PET scan - stem cells collected, but poor pulmonary function - must improve before proceding.
8/6 - confirmed radiation pneumonitis, possibly fibrosis.
8/26 New cardiologist, steroids are helping a lot. PET shows neck lymph node, onc. not worried. Hair growing back!
12/28 Still NED, but 2 hospital stays have sapped strength. Cardiomyopathy, fibrosis interfering with energy levels.
3/05 Three brain mets - WBR
4/24/05 Mom is so weak, we're all worried. May 2005 - it was anemia!
August 2005 - holding steady, but new vision problems are scary.
Sept. - after a brief rally, brain mets return - gamma knife on Oct. 19. Mom is very weak, bedridden.
November - Time is short. We spoil Mom as much as possible, and she seems content.
December 11th - Mom passed away peacefully. Dad, my aunt and I were at her side.
Avatar is Mom on her 50th birthday.

Memorial: http://www.geocities.com/jen02825/momspage.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:48 am 

Sue , I am so sorry for your loss of Mike. I offer my prayers for you and the family for peace during this most difficult time. Donna G

http://lungevity.org/l_community/viewtopic.php?f47&t=9092

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:06 am 

I am so sorry Sue. I don't think any words will make you feel better for a while, so I won't try to find them, but know that you are in my prayers and like the many others here, I am here for you.

Love and prayers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:47 am 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Sue,

I'm so sorry to read this news about Mike.
Take your time...take care of yourself...and come back when you get a little strength for support.

Warm Hugs,
Melinda

Alimta 04/18/2005-06/03/05 discontinued because of progressive disease
June 22, 05 started Tarceva. Response for 4 months. Discontinued 10/14/2005
Monday October 24 to start Avastin/Taxotere
2nd round of avastin/taxotere showing DRASTIC Results
80% shrinkage in large tumor
50% shrinkage in two others
CT Scan scheduled 2/13. More great scan results.
Another round of chemo given on 2/15/06.
Pet scan scheduled 3/06/06. Praying for NED!
3/08/06..........NED!!!!!
7/12/06 New spot on PET scan.
Back to Avastin/Taxotere.
8/06/06 After two treatments of Avastin/Taxotere-seizure
8/09/06 Doctor appointment. Stopped Avastin
Not sure what is next....
8/10/06 Brain MRI
8/16/06 doctor appointment for results and options.
Doctor said Mom is too weak to continue treatments.
8/18/06 Hospice called
8/29/06 Getting weaker, eating less, mental confusion
09/07/06 Mom is now in heaven.
I miss her so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:51 am 
Legacy Member

Sue-I just now saw this post. I too am so sorry.

Prayers said for you and the family.

Cindy

[size=10:07600f51db]'I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me' (and He does!)

I am a 50 yo (DOB 10/13/56), wife, mom of 3, ER nurse (semi-retired).
I was 44 and diagnosed 2/2001 SCLC Extensive R Lung, mediastinal area, vessels of the heart, and L adrenal gland, Cisplatin and Camptosar (Irenotecan) x 9 mos.
Remission 1 yr. :)
June 2002-youngest got her drivers lis. OH NO! 1st Milestone.
Relapsed in 2/2003, tumor in L lung-6 wks radiation and chemo- carboplatin, VP-16 for 6 mos. also in Feb. 2003 I fell and broke R leg-surgically repaired.
Last chemo treatment Aug. 2003.
Sept 2003 son got married! Another milestone met!
March 2004 pericardial effusion.
Dec. 2004 pericardial effusion still present but smaller and stable
Feb. 2005-I made it--4 years!!!!( since the day I was diagnosed, YEAH!)
Remission TWO YEARS (Aug. 2005)!!!!!!!!!! This time :)
August 1, 2005 CT scan shows NED and MRI confirms I am still empty headed!
Nov. 2005-all scans STILL NED!!
FEB. 2006- 5 YEARS SINCE DIAGNOSIS!!!
March 2006-All scans still NED
July 2006-All scans NED
Aug. 2006-3 years no chemo-oh yeah!
Dec 2 2006 Middle daughter was married!! Another milestone!
Oct. 2006-All scans NED
Feb 2007-All still NED !!6 YEARS since orig diagnosis!!
June 2007-NED NED NED!!
June 2007 Youngest daughter turned 21!! She was 14 at my diag!
August 2007-4 years since last chemo!!
April 2008-still clean, almost 5 yrs since last chemo, Praise God!

Pic- CindyRN and KatieB at the 2007 Bash
[/size:07600f51db]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:07 am 

((((((Sue))))))

My heart aches for you. Mike will be terribly missed. My prayers are with you and your family.

Trish

8-15-05 - Took myself to the ER. X-Ray shows mass on right lung. Hospitalized 4 days - broncoscopy, pet scan, MRI, CT, port-a-cath. Dx NSCLC Stage IIIB,adeno with squamous characteristics. Quit smoking after 30 yrs.
Radiation x 25.
Chemo - Taxol, Carboplatin x 2; reaction to Taxol 2nd infusion.
Taxotere, Carboplatin x 4 - reaction to Carbo on 6th infusion.
Taxotere weekly.
Mediastinoscopy shows lymph node with cancer, hilar region. Pneumonectomy not possible. Good news is cancer is confined to right side.
Radiation x 10 - right hilar boost.
Taxotere weekly x 3 then every 3 weeks x 2. Last treatment scheduled for Feb. 3.
Pet scan scheduled for Feb. 17.

Mar. 1, 2006 - Hilar lymph node is completely clear! Lung tumor has shrunk more than 50%. Will do 3 rounds (every 3 weeks) of Taxotere to knock the remaining tumor into oblivion. After that, will probably begin Tarceva.

4/25/06 - New PET/CT scans.
4/28/06 - Onc. declares the tumor "virtually dead". Although some residual tumor remains, little to no activity is seen. Began Tarceva 4/29. Not NED but real darn close!

6/27/06 - Onc. visit -- all tumor markers are NORMAL!!!
PET scan July 27 - Stable - Residual disease cannot be excluded. Again, not NED but I'll take it.
Next onc. visit is August 27. Continue on Tarceva. Moving right along...
9/25/06 - Celebrated my 49th (yikes!) birthday. Next PET scan on 10/26.
10/31/06 - PET Scan - Stable! Next onc. visit Jan. '07

Nov. '07 - Tarceva stopped working. Tumor growth detected. Back on chemo -- Gemzar/Navelbine this time.
Feb. '08 - Thoracentesis.
March '08 - Finish chemo. Thoracentesis.
April '08 - Hospitalized 9 days for pleurodesis and broncoscopy. Results show malignant cells in bronchus. Begin 4 weekly brachytherapy treatments. Hospitalized after 1st treatment due to reaction to Dilaudid.
June '08 - 2 more brachytherapy treatments to reach back-end of tumor.
Pet Scan scheduled 7/15/08.
Feeling great, working full-time, hoping for the best for all of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:27 am 
Over 100 Posts!

Oh Sue, I am so sorry. I was so hoping you and Mike would have more time together. This is just such a sad time, I hope you and your family find peace.

Karen H

11/2/04- liver biopsy, carcinoma, site undetermined, VA hospital
11/8/04-consult Moffitt Cancer Center, join clinical trial, need lung biopsy for trial
11/18/04- another liver biopsy, lung too risky
11/29/04- Adencarcinoma of liver, most likely from lung, start trial chemo
2/28/05 - PET & CT show major shrinkage of lung tumor, liver tumor growing. Removed from trial. Checking into Cyberknife. No new mets.
3/18/05 - Surgeon at Moffitt recommends liver resection, followed by surgery on lung when recovered. Cyberknife being held as option if needed later.
3/31/05-Liver resection, all cancer from liver removed. Next see lung surgeon.
5/02/05-Upper R lobectomy. Complications from leaks,in hospital 17 days. Hopefully, all active cancer gone.
6/08/05-Staging changed from IV to 1a due to pathology, separate primary lung and liver tumors believed, I hope and pray it is true.
7/11/05- FU with onc. and scan. Mulltiple tumors in liver and lung. Path. shows same cancer. Back to the start. Chemo started, Alitma and Carboplaten, hopefully Avastin
7/22. Can't afford Avastin ($30,000 each infusion) .
9/01/05- Progression in liver, start Tarceva and Avastin, Price lowered to $11,700/treatment, hoping to get it from Genentech
9/23/05 - 2nd Avastin infusion, scans coming on 10/14/05

10/14/05-Stable for the first time. Continuing Avastin & Tarceva, scans in 6 wks. BP very elevated.
11/22/05- Progression in multiple liver tumors, off all treatment. Clinical trial being considered.
12/08/05-Start clinical trial drug, 6 capsules 2x/day. Have also started accupuncture treatments.
1/02/06- Progression in liver, many tumors, index tumor has merged with 2 others, off of clinical trial drug.
2/9/06-Hospice called in, too tired to try another clincal trial
3/13/06- Ken has left us, the day before our daughters 27th birthday. He will be in my heart forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:36 am 

I am very sorry. Please accept my condolences.

Take care,
Jackie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:34 am 

I am so sorry for your loss.

Prayers and strength to you...

XOXOXOX
MaryAnn

dx 4/00 age 44, pancoast nsclc IIIa, 14 cm x 9 cm. 6-7/00, chemo 6 daysx2 (cisplatin/VP-16), 25 days radiation 6-7/00, removal of left upper lobe, 13# tumor, (loss of 5 ribs) w/ rebuilt goretex chest wall 8/00, chemo x2 9-10/00;
Clean Brain, neck, chest, ab, pelvic scans 2/04 Some pleural effusion along prosthetic chest wall. Keep an optimistic eye on it all...
April 2004, 4 year survivor w/NED...
8/11/2004 Scans clear, NED, pleural effusion stable and small. 4 year 4 month survivor
Avatar "HAPPY" , a gift from Rick Brown, is as close as I can come right now to owning a dog again. 9/24/2007 Scans NED, = 8 year survivor !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:16 am 
Over 100 Posts!

Sue, I am so very, very sorry for your loss. Wishing you comfort and peace. God bless and keep you strong.

Lynda

**12/21/05: 69 year old widowed Dad diagnoised with nsclc. Mass in left upper lobe measures 8.4 x 4.6 cm with associated satellite nodules. Mass in right upper lobe, 3.0 x 1.9 cm. Spiculated mass, 2.8 x 1.9 cm in left lower lobe (at the hilum).
**Apparent mets to bones, both pelvic bones and right rib but none causing any pain.
**Brain scan clear.
**Prior health issues. Diabetes, By-pass of both leg arteries, 2000. Heart attack, 2004, being treated medically. Rheumatoid arthritis.
**02/01/06, first chemo treatment; Cisplatin and Gemcitabine, alternating weeks will be just the Gemcitabine and the third week is a rest period. Total 4 cycles=8 treatments.
**03/28/06: Cat Scan to monitor chemo effectiveness; results,
Ongologist says, "Looks good," tumors shrinking and no new growth.
**04/12/06: First line of Chemo finished today
**04/12/06 to 05/05/06: effects of the last 2 chemo treatments are ongoing and lingering. Dad is weak and appetite is poor.
**05/06/06: Dad is coming around and feeling more himself, yippee!!
**05/09/06: pain developed suddenly in left shoulder area and left leg. Intense and unrelenting.
**05/25/06: Bone Scan. Results; heterogeneous activity present in the anterior aspect of the left 1st rib. Large and prominent region of increased activity along the lateral margin of the left iliac crest. (from June 5th, 2006 cat scan report; mass in the anterior aspect of the left upper lobe has increased in size and there is associated destruction of the overlying anterior aspect of the left 2nd rib).
**05/10/06 to 06/18/06: trying various meds to ease the pain and associated side effects; nausea, vision problems, etc. Dad is weak, sleeping much of the time and during the week of the 12th, appetite is almost non-existent.
**06/18/06 to 06/25/06: I think we've finally hit on the right combination of meds. Adverse side effects have abated, appetite has dramatically improved. Sleeping only at normal sleeping times.
**06/28/06: Left side upper rib area and left leg radiated. One mega dose each.
**07/04/06: Pain in left upper rib area is more or less abated. Leg pain is still present but significantly better. Dad is able to be more mobile than he's been the last few months.
**07/17/06: Dad doing so much better the last few weeks. It's a calm, relatively peaceful time. Life is good and I am grateful.
**07/19/06: Pain in left arm is back. Leg still not 100% improved.
**07/24/06: Radiation Oncologist schedules 5 additional radiation treatments for arm and leg.
**08/01/06: New pain in lower back area develops on day 2 of radiation. Bone scan scheduled for August 28/06.
**08/04/06: Radiation complete.
****Second line chemo (Taxotere) scheduled to begin on 08/22/06. 1 treatment every 3 weeks.
**08/11/06: Radiated areas are much improved, side effects were minimal. Dad is relieved to be free of the pain. Prayers of thanks to God.
**08/15/06: Pain in lower back area is getting worse.
**08/17/06: Results of most recent cat scan: Everything remains much as it was on June 5th scan, stable, with the exception that the largest tumour in the left upper lobe is mostly necrosis. The oncologist says it's, *suffocating from the inside out*, yipee!!
**08/24/06: Back pain is intolerable. Dad spends night in the emergency room and is released next morning with new pain medication recommended by symptom mangement nurse who was referred to us by Dad's Oncologist. She is a God send. Within just a few days the back pain is under control and Dad is comfortable.
**09/05/06: After only a week and a half on the new pain medication, so many problems have resolved for Dad. Thank-you Lord!!
09/13/06: Spends night in E.R. Mild angina attack.
**09/17/06: Most recent bone scan results read like a horror novel, "striking interval progression of skeletal metastatic disease". Intense activity noted at: c-6, t-2, t-4 through 6, t-8, t-9, t-10, t-11, L-1, L-3, L-5, s-1, s-2, right ischium, proximal femora, sternum, various ribs. The Oncologist remarked that several spots are no worse than 1 or 2. If the current treatment of Taxotere works, it will work on all areas effected. Praying for the Taxotere to work. It's got a big job to do.
**10/04/06: Taxotere not working. Tarceva ordered for third line treatment.
**10/04/06: Dad taken to emergency for chest pain. CT scan shows pleural and pericardial effusion. Admitted to palliative care unit awaiting more tests.
10/13/06: Spine mets thought to be causing chest pain.
10/18/06: Radiation to chest area, right shoulder and left rib area.
10/20/06: Dad very confused, agitated, not doing well.
10/23/06: Dad passes at 9:24 a.m., released into the arms of the angels. I will never be the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:37 am 
Over 100 Posts!

Sue,
This is so sad, I wish I could give you a hug right now. :cry:
Tess

ROB PASSED AWAY ON JULY 31st 2004, AT 3:30AM, WITH THE BLUE MOON SHINING TO LIGHT THE WAY TO HEAVEN, WHILE WE HELD HIS HANDS.

My mom also passed away, April 16th 2005, stage 4 lung cancer. Found out too late for treatment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:19 pm 

sue, I am devastated to hear this news. you are such a "shining" example of hope and faith, I only pray you can now lean on us during this horrible time.

I'm just so sorry.
xoxo
bunny

2002 - spot #1 appears near lymph nodes in resected lung, unreachable for biopsy, watch and wait
5/2005 - spot #2 appears on PET/CT 6 months after last check
6/2005 - spot #2 is confirmed NSCLC, AC (same as '00) after needle biopsy
6/24/05 - right intrapericardial pneumonectomy, clear margins
6/29/05 - home from the hospital!
7/13/05 - post-op visit, 5 of 7 nodes involved and 2 tumors with BAC features and ltd. nerve involvement, adjuvent chemo recommended, onc. appt. 7/26/05
7/15/05 - back in hospital with PE, slight pericardial effusion, and UTI.
7/20/05 - home from the hospital on tinzaparin injections
7/26/05 - 1st onc. appt., too sick from post-op complications for chemo right now, recheck in 2 weeks
7/27/05 - surgeon appt. - ambulance to hospital, emergency surgery to place pericardial window
7/28/05 - vena cava filter for blood clots placed, A-fib controlled by cardizem
7/29/05 - pericardium treated to prevent further effusions
8/2/05 - home from the hospital!
8/9/05 - onc. appt., positive for marker for Tarceva, wait & see re: chemo
8/11/05 - readmitted to hospital with pneumonia and pleural effusion
8/18/05 - home again!
9/1/05 - onc. appt., no chemo. but will start Tarceva in 1 month
9/7/05 - surgeon appt., lung and heart look good, scans in 3 months
9/29/05 - onc. appt. - begin Tarceva!
11/1/05 - onc. appt., all is well, increase dose, track by phone until Jan.
12/5/05 - surgeon appt., all is well
12/6/05 - per onc., increase Tarceva to 100mg
12/8/05 - admitted to hosp. with bleed in brain (stroke, no clot no mets!) discontinue blood thinners and Tarceva for now
12/11/05 - home from hospital, no right side peripheral vision...
12/27/05 - onc. appt., back on Tarceva, no more blood thinners (duh!)
2/3/06 - per MRI, hematoma on brain 'greatly reduced', driving limits, etc., removed
3/8/06 - NED
3/21/06 - onc. appt., Tarceva lowered to 75mg. because rash is worse
7/11/06 - NED (I think); we learn mom was staged at IIIB, scans in 6 months
10/17/06 - liver sonogram, after elevated enzymes in routine bloodwork, liver NED/normal
1/16/07 - onc. appt. and scan results - ALL CLEAR! continue 75mg of Tarceva daily, recheck in 6 mos.
7/07 - NED again. onc. discusses taking mom off Tarceva in 6 months
12/20/07 NED! just a little inflammation in her lung. no more Tarceva.
3/2008 - pulmonologist recommends supplemental O2 24/7 due to very low sat rates upon exertion
11/25/08 - mass on brain diagnosed, referred to MSKCC for treatment and follow up
11/27/08 - final tally: large tumor on right lateral ventricle, 3 small lesions on cerebellum, 1 lesion on spine
12/2/08 - surgery to remove largest brain tumor
12/22/08 - met with oncologist and rad. oncologist, directed to 14 treatments of WBR and referred to neurologist
12/26/08 - neurologist recommends RT to spine as well as WBR, for "tiny pockets of disease"
12/31/08 - commences 14 RT treatments to brain and spine
1/1/09 - hospitalized overnight for vomiting attributed to too low a dose of steroids after 1st RT treatment
1/21/09 - finishes 14 treatments of WBR and spinal RT
1/26/09 - CT scan of lung
1/29/09 - met with onc., CT shows disease in lymph node in lung, recommends Tarceva-based chemo
3/6/09 - with bladder and bowel incontinence and rapidly declining mental status due to progressing leptomeningeal mets, the doctors tell us there is nothing more they can do 3/10/09 - Mom is transferred to Calvary palliative care hospital in the Bronx
4/20/09 - Mom dies surrounded by love and light

mom also had a thyroid malignancy in 1993, immediately after losing her sister to renal cell cancer. I am 37 y.o. daughter, also have a brother, 33.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:24 pm 

Sue, I am just so very sorry....

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBSITE FOR CUSTOM SUPPORT/MEMORY BRACELET. A PORTION OF EACH SALE GOES DIRECTLY TO LUNGEVITY
www.ilovinglyremember.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:40 pm 

Sue,

I have tried 1000 times to come and post. I cry for you and the boys. I know how much this wonderful man will be missed by all of you. Mike was one of those rare individuals who made everyone feel like they had known him forever. I feel so blessed to have known him. I share your sorrow.

John and I are here if you need us.

May you find peace,
Pam

09-21-01 right lung removed plus #4 rib and part of chest wall.
Chronic pain in left side of chest.
06-02 nerve block for chronic pain
09-02 nerve block for pain
Oncologist every three months for blood work and chest x-ray
Every 6 months CT w/ contrast
03-03 scan showed esophagus had moved and had a slight kink in it. started Protonix. Left lung clear but moved to about center chest.
05-04 hospital for pneumonia
09-04 hospital for pneumonia
10-04 hospital for pneumonia
12-04 hospital for pneumonia
02-05 hospital for pneumonia
03-05 hospital for pneumonia
04-05 hospital for pneumonia
06-26-05 hospital ICU for pneumonia
I gave up. I prayed. Please God help me. My husband brought in a Time magazine which had an article about the new drugs used for esophagus erosion. They cause pneumonia in COPD patients. I quit taking Protonix.
11-05 Oncolgist CT clear blood work great
02-02-06 CT w/contrast
02/16 Oncologist Appt. CT clear- blood work great - next appt in 6 months YEAH!!
03-08 Thyroid biopsy
03-15 Endocrinologist called No Cancer but numbers are high have to have a nuclear test(??) scheduled for Apr 5 &6
<b>"A single twig breaks, but a bundle is strong" </b> Tecumseh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:31 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

Sue:
I read your post this morning and can't find the words to say to you. I'm crying for you and your family. This disease is so evil. Please do accept our deepest sincere sympathy.
God bless you and your family in this difficult time
Take care of you.
Love,
Malou

May God continue to richly bless each and everyone of you.
Feel free to visit my Gospel Radio Station and Be Blessed with some beautiful Music.
www.1holyghostparty.com
"Don't forget to sign our guestbook"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:46 pm 

Sue, Iam so terribly sorry to hear about Mikes passing. I know this is hard to deal with right now. DEb passed 6 weeks ago I understand how you feel I think. We are here for you and the Family when you need us for support. Everyone was wonderful to me about deb. I am saying extra prayers for you and your Family. Much Love and Prayers

4/23/07 DEb is joined in Peace by her Puppy Dawg Daisy from Cancer
8/30/07 Got new Pup named Mocha!!

"No matter hnow much it hurts, No matter how alone you feel, Your friends will help you get through anything!!"
Scrubs!!!!Yes the comedy show!!!

The Reason I advocate
If you would like to see our family photos Click on this link!
http://deborah-wallin.memory-of.com/

My memory-of Link is good to go now if you want to see it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:56 pm 

Sue,

I am saddened to read this news. Prayers and condolences to you and tour family,
God Bless and hugs,
Karen

God Bless and Praying for a "Cure" for all of us.
<*}}}><
By His stripes, I am healed, I claim His healing
I believe in "Miracles"
Dx'd 3-03, nsclc 3a-b
Radiation 3-25-03 to 5-15-03 (38) treatments
Taxol/carbo 4-1-03 to 5-20-03
Taxol/carbo 7-23-03 to 10-27-03 (every 3 wks)
Pneumonia 9-16-03 in Hosp 4 days
Bronc 10-16 - Pulm Doc can't find tumor & NED
Biopsy 10-16 - test back "NEGATIVE"
Last chemo 10-27-03, PET looks good
CEA <.5 Nov .6 in Jan .9 in March.6 April .7 July
CT & MRI March 04, one 1" tumor brain. Surgery 4-6-04 remove brain tumor successful, cured - Rad Stereotactic 4-04 - NOT WBR
Possible radiation Necrosis 11-05
PET/CT Cking for Necrosis
New pic is Bob & I @ X-mas party 12-13-03

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:01 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

This is tragic news Sue...Trust there are many loving arms around you now.

final dx:...... 3.7cm nsclc...IB mod-diff adeno w/BAC features
11/03 to 1/04...... adjuvent chemo...cisplatin/navelbine 3-4 rounds
1/04...... clean chest/abdomen scans
5/04...... clean bone/liver scans and mri of spine...I feel very lucky today
9/27/04...... EGD negative...finally 1yr cancer-free...NED and I are having an affair
3/05....new testing shows NED is still with me
6/05....Stage 4...6cm plus adenocarcinoma tumor removed from right brain...w/o treatment was told I would have been gone in 2 wks
7/05...Facing 15 WBRs and oral chemo...Temodar.....
Back on steroids for headache
7/11/05...whole body bone scan, chest, abd, pelvis clear of cancer
...SO THIS IS ONLY IN MY HEAD??!!??
8/16/05...Finished 15 WBR w/Temodar (stopped Temodar after 2nd wk due to drop in O2)
...Started Carbo/Taxol for 4 mths
8/05...Full body Pet shows no CA anywhere
9/05....Blood clots in legs bring on 2 hospitalizations
10/05...am considering foregoing treatment for a few months

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:02 pm 
OVER 1500 POSTS !
OVER 1500 POSTS !

Sue I am so very very sorry for the loss of your beloved Mike. I know the deep love you two shared, and I can only imagine your pain right now. You are in my prayers that God ease your suffering and bring you comfort.
Sue you are much loved here and we will hold you close in our hearts and our thoughts until you find the strength to post more.

Husband Age 31 Dx 3/19/03 Small Cell LC Second Opinion Mayo Clinic Dx 4/9/03 - Atypical Carcinoma (A.K.A. poorly differentiated neuroendocrine carcinoma with small cell features) w/ Mets to Lymph Nodes and Liver

4/19/03 Cisplatin & Irinetecan
6/19 Scan results show no change
6/23 one round of Cisplatin and VP 16 then changed to Carboplatin and VP-16.
7/16 started 10 rounds Radiation
8/19 Test Results showed slight shrinkage to all areas YEAH!!! Continuing on with Carboplatin and VP-16
10/14 Scan results show no change. Oncologist wants to stop treatment. Where do we go from here?
11/14 Liver Biopsy confirmed Atypical Carcinoid, Liver now looks clean. Hired new Doctor and are looking into Alternative Treatments.
12/23 CT scan shows cancer to be relatively stable. One lymph node grew, but rest stayed the same. Still waiting to determine next step.
1/7 Started Sandostatin injections 3X daily
1/26 Visited LSU Dr. Anthony in New Orleans about clinical Trial of Octreotide Accepted, but wants us to try low dose chemo first.
2/7 Changed to Sandostatin once a month time released injection
4/6 CT scan shows that primary tumor between lungs grew from 2.2 CM to 3.3 CM. Starting Radiation to primary tumor 4/15 to 6/15. Expecting two rounds of low dose chemo to follow.
7/23 two week hospital stay for pancreatitis showed new lesions in pancreas and liver.
8/31 Started new Trial in New Orleans - Indium III.
9/14 MRI of the brain shows 13 lesions in the brain and meninges. Starting 15 rounds WBR 9/27/04
11/5/04 Started 2 rounds of Cytoxin Doxirubicin and Vichristin
3/18/05 CT scan shows no change; Keith to get a break from Chemo
5/6/05 CT Scan shows that cancer progressing; greater than 25% growth in all areas
5/25/05 Visited a Dr. O'Dirisio at University of Iowa about Ytrium Trial. Keith did not qualify but Starting Sandostatin again to try and boost receptors to qualify in future.
starting Taxotere 6/10/05
9/13/05 Scans show stable disease, no growth or shrinkage. Starting 6 more weeks of Taxotere.
10/27/05 CT & MRI taken; MRI Results show Brain Stable CT Scan shows slight increase to Liver lesions, but overall stable.
12/15/05 CT Scans show return of large tumor in lymph node under his collarbone at the curve of his neck plus advancement of disease in the liver from 4 small lesions to more than can be counted mid sized tumors. Starting Alimta on 12/30/05 HAPPY NEW YEAR :( 12/23/5 MRI shows size growth on several brain lesions, new tumor to Thyriod gland, new tumor to 6th Vertibrae. Tomotherapy on the neck started 2/13/06.
Scan 2/14/06 shows rapid progression of lesions in liver. Alimta stopped and starting back on Irinetecan (AKA CPT-11) on 2/17/06
4/6/06 scans show growth on all tumor sites. Nothing suggested for tx, as onc wants to check around and get other opinions.
4/19/06 Spent the day in ER because of severe side pain. CT shows Significant growth from scan taken just 3 weeks earlier plus new pleural effusion. Pain most likely from many Liver mets growing and pushing on liver casing. Starting trial of Temodar and Thalidomide 5/24/06
5/29/06 Spent 2 days in hospital with pain in left side, swelling in right arm. CT shows significant tumor growth. Lymph nodes in Mediastanim wrapped around Superior Vena Cava vein compressing vein, lymph node in neck compressing same vein. Swelling cause of SVCS. Pleural Effusion greatly increased in right lung. Pain in side possibly from increase in pancreas tumor, increase in liver tumors and size, compression to vein feeding spleen and enlarge spleen plus constipation. Temodar Thalidomide stopped. No more treatment.
6/2/06 Thoreocentisis drained 1+ liters of fluid from right lung. Stints not put into SVC because of location and thrombosis surrounding the catheter from port blocking vein would require removal of port.
6/7/06 Experienced swelling in the groin and phallus; cause could not be determined.
6/26/06 Hospitalized for severe pain in shoulder. Stayed for 2 nights to get pain meds to control pain.
Released home 6/28/06 passed away surrounded by family and friends on 6/29/06.

The light of my life has been extinguished and I live forever in darkness. But my love lives eternally now in the glorious radiance of God.

I will Love you FOREVER & ALWAYS!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:47 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

So sorry for your loss. Deepest condolences to you.

10-04 Velcade not effective, starting Alimta in early Nov
1-05 continuing progression of dz, starting Iressa.
2-05 More dz progression, beginning Taxol.
5-05 Stable, but onc wants to try Avastin.
5-05 Avastin/Carbo/Taxol
7-05 improvment in both lungs, but continual headache. Skipping Avastin for now.
8-05 hospitalized with severe headache and vertigo. Cause unknown.
10-05 Carbo/Taxol 6th cycle done. 20% reduction in nodules in both lungs. On chemo holiday for up to 8 weeks to build up reserves for next chemo regimen.
11-05 Well, it was a short holiday! More progression of disease. Now taking weekly Navelbine infusions.
3/06 Took last Navelbine, now problems with pneumonia. traveling to tX to visit son & family.
3/06 It's not pneumonia, it's more cancer spread. worse than last scan 2 weeks prior. Starting Tarceva
4/06 After 4 days of Tarceva, decided to check with MD Anderson. Awaiting word from them.
4/06 After consult with onc, decided to give Tarceva a shot. Less toxic than other chemo available for her now, even clinical trials.
4/24/06 Mom passed from this earth peacefully. God rest her soul.

1-15-06 Lost my dad to melanoma.
"Twirl me about and turn me around. Let me grow dizzy and fall to the ground. And when I look up at you looking down, tell me it was only a dream." mary chapin carpenter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:02 am 
Over 100 Posts!

((((SUE))))
I am so sorry for your loss. I am praying for you and your family. I pray that God gives you the strength you need to get through this. I wish I had some words of wisdom to pass onto you, but all I can do is share your tears. We are here when you need us.
Kim

[size=9]
Husband Mike (35)
Jan 2005 Diag. NSCLC Stage 1
Feb. 2005 Diag. NSCLC Stage 4 Inoperable Met. to chest wall
March 2005 Chemo Carboplatin/Taxotere (Every three weeks)
May 2005 Neulasta After Chemo
June 2005 Added Avastin
June 2005 Tumor Shrunk 60% and CT does not show any mets.
August 2005 Completed 8 rounds.
September 2005 PET Scan - only one tumor showing. Scheduled appointment with surgeon in Pittsburgh.
October 2005 Consult with surgeon. All scans not received from OSU. Scheduled an appointment in three weeks.
Scheduled surgery for Nov. 11, 2005.
November 2005 Wedge resection. Took several biopsies and all were negative including chest wall. Also did chemo Perfusion Therapy with Cistplatin directly to the sight. Now cancer free. May do more chemo just to be sure.
December 2005 Oncologist wants to wait until he is healed from surgery and do a new CT and then decide about chemo.
2/27/06 Still NED
4/27/06 NED
5/24/06 Port removed
8/2/06 NED
10/17/06 Drained over 2 liters of fluid.
11/1/06 It's back. Start radiation & Chemo 11/9/06.
1/2/07 Pleurex Catheter placed
1/17/07 Alimta & Avastin Every 3 Weeks
3/2/07 Pleurx Catheter Removed
5/7/07 Shrinkage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:47 am 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

Sue,
I am so very sorry for the loss of your brave Mike.
My heart goes out to you and I wish you strength and peace. Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:59 am 
OVER 1000 POSTS !
OVER 1000 POSTS !

Dear Sue,
I have been away from the boards and was so very sorry to read this when I returned. Remember Friend he is in Heaven now and with God and he is healthy again. I pray for you're strngth and comfort to get through this terrible time.
God Bless you Sue,
Jane

May04 it stopped working and he is starting Taxotere5/5/04
Cea tumor marker has risen from 8 to 19 and he is having delusions. Brain scan done and it was clean. Blood work done and it was found to be low and he had 2 more units of blood today(5/4/04)
Cancer has spread to his heart 5/04 and he is hospitalized. The DR has said that the family needs to gather in the next week or two to pay Alan his final respects :-(
6/2/04 Alan's hair has all fallen out and he likes it!! He is out of the hospital and is doing well somedays and worse on others. We have given it to God. We live on pins and needles but believe that his time is near, but we never give up HOPE!!

Alan left us to be with his creator on June 11th 2004. May he rest in Peace and tranquility.

This is a picture of my Brother Alan, Taken May 2004

My web site in Memory of Alan
http://www.freewebs.com/alanrussell/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:58 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

Oh Sue,

I'm so very sorry. My thoughts are with you.

love,

Cathy

My dear father died February 22, 2006

Papa, you are always in my heart!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:12 am 
Legacy Member

(((((((((((Sue))))))))))))))))

Cindy

[size=10:07600f51db]'I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me' (and He does!)

I am a 50 yo (DOB 10/13/56), wife, mom of 3, ER nurse (semi-retired).
I was 44 and diagnosed 2/2001 SCLC Extensive R Lung, mediastinal area, vessels of the heart, and L adrenal gland, Cisplatin and Camptosar (Irenotecan) x 9 mos.
Remission 1 yr. :)
June 2002-youngest got her drivers lis. OH NO! 1st Milestone.
Relapsed in 2/2003, tumor in L lung-6 wks radiation and chemo- carboplatin, VP-16 for 6 mos. also in Feb. 2003 I fell and broke R leg-surgically repaired.
Last chemo treatment Aug. 2003.
Sept 2003 son got married! Another milestone met!
March 2004 pericardial effusion.
Dec. 2004 pericardial effusion still present but smaller and stable
Feb. 2005-I made it--4 years!!!!( since the day I was diagnosed, YEAH!)
Remission TWO YEARS (Aug. 2005)!!!!!!!!!! This time :)
August 1, 2005 CT scan shows NED and MRI confirms I am still empty headed!
Nov. 2005-all scans STILL NED!!
FEB. 2006- 5 YEARS SINCE DIAGNOSIS!!!
March 2006-All scans still NED
July 2006-All scans NED
Aug. 2006-3 years no chemo-oh yeah!
Dec 2 2006 Middle daughter was married!! Another milestone!
Oct. 2006-All scans NED
Feb 2007-All still NED !!6 YEARS since orig diagnosis!!
June 2007-NED NED NED!!
June 2007 Youngest daughter turned 21!! She was 14 at my diag!
August 2007-4 years since last chemo!!
April 2008-still clean, almost 5 yrs since last chemo, Praise God!

Pic- CindyRN and KatieB at the 2007 Bash
[/size:07600f51db]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:05 am 
Over 100 Posts!

So very sorry, Sue. You are probably tired of hearing this, but take some comfort in knowing that he is not in pain anymore and you both went above and beyond with this horrible beast of a disease.
Wishing You Everything You Need,
Patty

10/15/04 Turned 51 yrs old
11/03/04 Dr dx "bronchitis"
12/01/04 Chest X-ray hazy
12/09/04 Chest CT Scan
12/13/04 Dr phones me, while home
alone that it looks like lung
cancer & refers me to Oncologist.
12/15/04 Onc. informs us that I
have lc in both lungs & in
between lungs, it is inoperable,
incurable, but treatable with rad
& chemo, orders Pelvic CT Scan,
PET Scan & Bronchoscopy.
Prescribes Xanax for me.
12/23/04 Onc has new dx: nsclc,
PET Scan shows 8cm mass in rt
lung only, possibly operable
thus, curable, refers me to
surgeon. Merry Xmas!
1/06/05 Surgeon is optimistic, it
can be removed by taking out one
lobe, upper right.
1/10/05 Upper right lobectomy,
cancerous mass was 6.5cm,31 lymph
nodes removed & no cancer found
in them.
Stage IB!!!!
I've a good chance of being cured!
2/05 to 5/05, Chemo's(12) of
Carbo & Gemzar.
Check-ups have been good,thus far
Now I have a appt w/Onc on
1/26/06 to find results of Chest
CT Scan & MRI of Thoracic Spine
done yesterday & PET Scan I will
have on Monday. I have been
having back pain way inside,
a cough & can't remember the last
time I felt good. I probably
need prayers. Thanks.
1/26/06 Results of above tests
are okay, except PET Scan shows
"something" at surgical
(mass removal site),
Onc says not cancer, but
needs to be checked in 2-1/2 mo
Refers me to Pulmonary Dr-
Appt with him on:
Feb 1, 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:39 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Sue, keeping you in my prayers. May God's arms surround you and give you peace. pammie

48 yr. old female non smoker diagnosed with stage IIIB adenocarcenoma in plueral lining of left lung on June 29, 2004. Mets to pericardium. Anaphylatic shock to zosyn in emergency room. ICU for three days. Drained almost 2 liters of fluid out of left lung from the pleural effusion. Radiation or surgery not an option. Have had 8 chemo treatments since 7-2-04. No noticeable effect but am stable. Asthma since 1961 and diagnosed with MS in 1995. Started Iressa in Jan of 2005. Very good response in tumor markers. As of 7/29/05 in remission.A brain met was found in occiptal part of brain so they did rads on it on 11/15/05. Have switched to Tarceva since the FDA says no more Iressa. Also am taking Temador every other week. Quit tarceva due to horrible burning skin rash. 2 more tumors found in April, 2006. Ster radiation. Too much swelling around Nov 2005 tumor so had a craniotomy May, 2006. Have lost the lower left quadrant of my vision from the first tumor. LC seems stable at this point. Got off decadron in August 2006. Have had lots of pain in various parts of my body and heart pain since then. Extensive testing on heart and no problems. Attribute pain to getting off decadron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:42 pm 
OVER 500 POSTS !
OVER 500 POSTS !

Sue,
My sincere condolences to you and your family. I am really so sorry to hear this terrible news.
Joan

05/05 - 6 rounds of chemo and avastin
primary tumor is shrinking
11/05 - finished chemo and continuing with avastin 1x month
mri - stable
11/05 some pain in legs - will speak to dr. on friday
11/05 pain is much better. Dr. set up MRIs and CT for end of Dec. and early Jan.
12/05 Dr. is concerned and pushed MRIs up.
So happy and lucky...everything is status quo. now just to get through CT scan in January.
1/06 - CT stable
3/06 - CT stable (yea!)
4/06 - MRI shoulder - been having pain - no evidence of disease - arthritic changes
4/25/06 - first Grandchild born
4/28/06 - hospitalized for dehydration - did MRI brain - empty
5/06 - CT scan - Stable (one year)
6/06 - MRI - spine
7/06 - results not good. growth of tumor on sacrum and slight growth on spine. 10 days of radiation and then probably chemo or clinical trial
7/07 - 7/09/06 - hospitalized - severe vomiting from ??? radiation or food poisoning or pain med reaction
8/06 - STABLE
9/06 - hospitalized again for start of dehydration
9/06 - Brain CT - empty
9/06 - Docs have concluded that my symptoms
are being caused by "stress". Wedding
perhaps
10/31 CT, chest, abdomen and hips - STABLE
12/2006 - WBR - 10 days worth - cancer cells surrounding brain. (we'll get em!)
1/2007 - WBR - all done - still feeling well.
2/2007 - finished new 5 pill a month Temodar chemo treatment. Feeling great, considering...just a little tired.
picture of my husband, my daughter Dana and me. Oct 22nd 2006.Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:57 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

Dear Sue, so sorry and angry that we had to lose yet another precious soul to this horrid disease. It was a battle well fought by a valiant knight. My prayer are with you now.

Trish

Jeffrey is now "normal" again
2/06/05 begin chemo tacol,carboplatin
3/05/05 MRI Brain: all mets shrinking, no new mets
3/30/05 MRI Lung and Liver
4/01/05 MRI Brain: maximum shrinkage, no new mets
4/02/05 Off chemo, on Tarceva to try to get better results on liver. Primary is responding well
4/04/05 Begin planning Cyberknife for liver and lung
5/05/05 New met to brain. Scheduled Gamma Knife in 2 weeks
5/16/05 5 new mets gamma knifed
5/25/05 Scan review after 2 mths of Tarceva. No new mets but no shrinkage. Off Tarceva, on Alimta.
5/26/05 See Cyberknife surgeon
and PET scan
6/9/05 Scan results better than expected. NO activity anywhere but the 2 tumors we knew of. Liver tumor and lung tumor both showing good response to Alimta.
Cyberknife surgeon says its a GO!
06/15/05 2nd round Alimta/no side effects
7/06/05 3rd round Alimta/no side effects
7/08/05 Feeling side effects now with bouts of rage (3 days)
7/14/05 CT of liver and lung
7/25/05 2 Fiducials successfully inserted in liver. Radiologists mentions that tumor is much smaller than scan he got which was one month ago
7/27/05 Onc confirms dramatic shrinkage from Alimta in both lung and liver tumors. No chemo until after cyberknife.

08/1/05 2 fiducials implanted in liver tumor (tumor shrinkage down by 1/2 again)
8/3,4,5/05 Successful cyberknife on liver tumor
08/10/05 Alimta treatment #4
08/30/05 Clean brain scan..no mets
08/31/05 Alimta treatment #5
09/21/05 Final Alimta #6
09/28/05 Lung and Liver scan
10/12/05 Scan shows liver is NED and tumor in lung is down to 1.2 cm. doc decided to keep him on chemo and schedule Cyberknife for tumor in lung.
10/12/05 Alimta #7
10/13/05 Another follow up PET/CAT infusion scan at Mercy Hospital, Miami
11/2/05 Alimta #8
11/3/05 Brain Scan (3 month follow-up) CLEAN!
11/23/05 Liver scan clean
11//05 IMRT on host lung tumor for amonth 5 days a week
12/05 Receiving Carboplatin every Wednesday
01/03/06 Brain scan show no mets but some swelling which is causing some cognitive problems. Decadron for a week.
01/04/06 Last round of Carboplatin (only 5 rounds were prescribed)
01/11/06 Brown is new cyberknife surgeon. Yes to lung tumor removal. CAT Scan and PET scan
1/23/06 IMRT Dr. wants 6 more rounds..
2/1/06 PET Scan results no new activity anywhere
2/06/06 Lung biopsy lung collapses admitted to hospital
2/07/06 lung tumor NED
2/08/06 Fiducial placement
2/10/06 released from hospital
2/16/06 CT scan shows pneumothorax so back in hospital
2/18/06 Pneumothorax self corrected so back out of hospital
3/08/06 CT of lung (again)
3/10/06 Cyberknife of lung tumor
3/13,14/06 Cyberknife of lung tumor
5/9/06 Scans scheduled
5/17 PET scan clear
5/18 Brain MRI clear
7/20 Decadron causes 'road rage'incident
8/22 Brain Scan inconclusive
9/18 New scan shows mets (maybe)
9/19 Gamma Knife of 5 new "growths"
10/17 Brain Scan clean
10/24 Seizure while at work/in hospital
10/26 My father passed away while Jeff is still in hospital
10/27 Released from hospital
11/11 Jeff had another seizure at work
11/13 Brain scan to prepare for brain surgery
11/14 Surgery/biopsy shows no cancer in "matter" removed
11/16 Jeff released from hospital
11/24/06 Jeff back to work
12/28/06 Jeff has elective surgery to get new port for blood drawing and scan injections.
01/19/07 PET Scan (clear)
03/08/07 Brain scan (clear)
03/28/07 Lung and Liver scan (clear)
04/4/07 Oncologist (routine)
05/24/07 Colonoscopy (routine)
06/05/07 Brain scan shows evidence of necrotic growth
06/15/07 Brain PET Clear
08/20/07 Body PET Clear
09/07/07 NED
11/01/07 Seizure at work due to low levels of Lamictal
01/16/08 Routine visit with Neurologist
01/20/08 Seizure at work ?? Admitted to Mount Sinai
01/21/08 Prescribed Lamictal for seizures that are a result of Gamma Knige to brain tumors 3 years ago.
06/22/08 Seizure medication increased due to additional episodes
08/19/08 Hospitalized dues to blood in vomit and urine after coming home ill from work
08/21/08 it Turned out to be minor-iriritation of the esophagus from seizure medication. Has to take a protector drug along with and that is it.
07/14/09-All is well. Jeff no longer sees the oncologist-just his primary. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:41 pm 

Sue I am so sorry for your loss. Know that we are here for anything and everything if you need us. My condolences and prayers go out to your family at this time.

4/23/07 DEb is joined in Peace by her Puppy Dawg Daisy from Cancer
8/30/07 Got new Pup named Mocha!!

"No matter hnow much it hurts, No matter how alone you feel, Your friends will help you get through anything!!"
Scrubs!!!!Yes the comedy show!!!

The Reason I advocate
If you would like to see our family photos Click on this link!
http://deborah-wallin.memory-of.com/

My memory-of Link is good to go now if you want to see it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:00 pm 
Over 100 Posts!

I am so sorry.

IMRT 5x
Clinical Trial Velcade/Alimta
Ed stopped clincal trial, went back home to Seattle.
Died March 11, 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:08 pm 

Sue-
Thinking of you at this hard time and hoping that you have a good support system. Take care and know that we all care.

"Every moment is a breath-taking, transitory experience, never to be repeated again." - Don Juan Matus

Tiny
Age 58 at dx; lifelong non-smoker
12/01 dx NSCLC bronchoalveolar-type adenocarcinoma (BAC), Stage IIA
2/02 Lobectomy RLL; no chemo or rad
6/03 MRI = "empty"
3/05 Bone Scan = negative
2/08 CT = "No Evidence for Metastases or Recurrence"
Enjoyed 6+ years of NED
1/09 CT/PET:Recurrent disease: multiple new nodules in both lungs, mediastinal lymph nodes, and spot on liver.
2/3/09 Bone Scan: Degenerative arthritis (hooray!)
2/4/09 Started Tarceva
~~ picture: Temple of Poseidon, Greece 4/08 ~~