The 2023 LUNGevity Early Detection Research Award program is now open for application submissions.
LUNGevity Early Detection Research Awards support translational research projects directed at new approaches to improve clinical methods for the detection and diagnosis of primary tumors. Projects that will be funded in 2023 are expected to have a direct impact on the early detection of lung cancer or on the outcomes of lung cancer, or to provide a clear conceptual or experimental foundation for the future development of methods for early detection and/or individualized treatment, including through targeted therapy and immunotherapy.
- Applicants must hold a doctoral degree and faculty appointment with an academic institution, including research institutions that are not formally associated with a university
- Award may be for $200,000-$300,000 per year over an award term of two-three years
- The total award amount will not exceed $600,000
- Annual milestones must be met
Note: LUNGevity will grant only one Early Detection Research Award per institution.
LUNGevity uses a two-step application process:
- A letter of intent (LOI), with a brief overview of the proposed project and biographical information
- A full application with an extended narrative about the project, as well as supporting information and documentation. (Because there are a limited number of awards, only a subset of applicants is invited to submit a full application after the LOI review is completed.)
Reviewers are drawn from LUNGevity’s Scientific Advisory Board and other lung cancer experts. Awardees have progress and financial reporting obligations during their award term.
A complete description, terms and conditions, and instructions are included in the 2023 LUNGevity Early Detection Research Award RFA. Applications must be submitted via proposalCENTRAL.
2023 Early Detection Research Award Timeline
|LOIs due:||by February 27, 2023, 11:59 pm EST|
|Invitation to apply:||No earlier than March 31, 2023|
|Applications due:||May 8, 2023, 11:59 pm EDT|
|Award announcement:||Late summer 2023|
|Award start date:||November 1, 2023|